Stranded Like This

The whirling winds that howled outside the inn brought Venti back into consciousness after a long night's sleep. He woke up alone on this gloomy morning. Xiao's side of the bed was messier than usual, the covers half falling, tossed aside as if they were kicked off in a hurry. Venti braided his hair as he looked around. On the drawers was a piece of paper, folded into two. He opened it, his eyes racing through the words.

"I'm sorry. I can't do this. For your own good, don't come after me. Xiao."

The corners of the letter crippled around Venti's shaky grasp. "What," he uttered. The deafening rumble of thunder sent a chill down his spine. He tumbled backwards, falling on the bed. "What does this mean, why?" He felt his eyes fill up.

He snatched his cape and headed out the room. "Xiao, Xiao-have you seen him?" He asked the boss.

"I have. He left early this morning in a hurry, not too long ago, and didn't say anything," she said.

Venti nodded before sprinting out under the drizzling sky. "Where are you..." he whispered, beginning for a response.

Xiao had never done something like this before, so what reason could he have for doing this now?

"Hey kid," an old man said from one of the tables nearby. Venti turned to face him, feeling dizzy. "Are you looking for your boyfriend?"

"Yes," Venti said, his face lighting up. He held the old man's hand into his. "Have you seen him? Please tell me you saw him."

"Yes, yes. He went this way," he pointed.

Venti held his breath and sprinted towards that direction. He wasn't going to make do with a letter. He needed answers. His stomach sank in the pouring rain. He had a bad feeling that kept eating him up inside.

"Xiao," he screamed through the soaring winds.

From the corner of his eye, he caught the glimpse of a shadow behind the trees. "Xiao?" He said again, shoving the branches out of the way. "I finally found you!"

With his back to Venti, Xiao stood still, didn't even look behind. "What did I tell you?" He said.

"This letter?" Venti said, whipping it out of his pocket and waving it in the air. "This doesn't explain anything. Are you breaking up with me? Why? What about what you promised?" He felt his throat beginning to burn.

"It's over. Don't follow me."

"Please!" Venti yelped, reaching for his hand.

Xiao instantly pulled his hand away. He gave him one cruel glare that Venti's never seen before. He stumbled back a few steps and Xiao disappeared. Venti fell to his knees. Confusion gushed through his mind, he just couldn't comprehend what'd happened. Did he do something wrong? He held his hand above his mouth and bawled.

"Hey! Are you okay?" Someone said behind him. It was Albedo. He knelt down next to Venti and placed a hand on his shoulder. "What happened? Are you hurt?"

"Xiao-he's...he's gone," Venti muffled while sobbing.

"What do you mean 'he's gone'?"

"I don't know. He...broke up with me, didn't tell me why."

Albedo pulled him in, hugging him tightly.

"I lost him," he said.

"No," Albedo said, pulling back, "You didn't lose him. He lost you." He cupped Venti's cheeks and rubbed his face with his thumbs.

"But- I need to find him. Can you help me?" He asked, standing up.

"Of course," he said, "But first of all, you have to wear my coat. You're all soaked." He slipped his coat off and wrapped it around Venti. Then, he took his hand and led under the rain.