Growing Closer

With Venti in his arms, Xiao teleported back to Wangshu Inn. He realized that Venti had passed out already. He sighed, tightening his grip around him.

"Xiao? Did you need something?" The boss said emerging from the kitchen.

"We need an extra room," Xiao said.

"I'm afraid all our other rooms are booked..." She said, hoping he wouldn't question it. The boss had never lied to Xiao like this before but she couldn't help it. She had never seen Xiao bring anyone to the Inn before. She fought a smile and excused herself.

He sighed again and carried Venti into his room. He gently placed Venti on his side on top of the bed and placed a pillow behind his back. Xiao was about to pull away when Venti wrapped his arms around Xiao's neck, refusing to let go.

Xiao groaned, trying to get him off. Venti seemed to be saying something. Was he awake? Xiao leaned in, with his ear besides Venti's mouth.

"Come back..." Venti mumbled.

"You need to sleep," Xiao said. He was once again close enough to smell the alcohol from Venti's lips.

"Back...Don't die on me..." Venti said softly.

Xiao raised a brow in confusion, he looked at him. A single tear rolled down Venti's face. His lips trembled as he held Xiao and sobbed, all while still unconscious.

"Venti..." Xiao said.

Seeing him like that made his heart ache. He couldn't leave him now and he convinced himself it was because he owed him. He sat on the bed and hesitantly held him. This much touch was foreign to Xiao but Venti wasn't. If anything, being around him felt more familiar than anything. This was a change to the silent nights Xiao spends alone. Instead of hearing their agonizing voices, he was hearing the soothing pattern of Venti's breath. It gave him the same feeling as hearing the flute. Xiao knew this wouldn't last but a secret part of him wanted to pretend like they'll stay like this forever.

The disturbing sunlight from the window warmed his skin. Xiao rubbed his eyes. His body felt stiff from not moving all night. He looked down, Venti had buried his face into his chest. Xiao cleared his throat, slightly flustered which is something he would never admit. He placed a hand on Venti's shoulder and pushed him away.

Venti yawned, stretching his arms after awakening. He saw Xiao, glanced around, then back at Xiao. On his face both amusement and terror.

"You were out of it yesterday, so I brought you here to rest..." Xiao immediately explained.

"Oh no, I didn't do anything stupid, did I?" Venti asked, sighing.

"Don't worry, you didn't."

"Did we?"

"No!" Xiao frowned.

"Ehe, I was just joking. Relax now!" Venti smiled, stretching once more.

"You must be hungry," Xiao said.

"Haha, you read my mind! But that's a feeling that isn't so alien knowing my- ehe, financial situation..."

"Yanxiao is a chef I'm familiar with, he won't mind preparing a meal for us. And you don't need to worry about the cost."

"Ohh, that's perfect!" Venti exclaimed, hopping off of the bed.

Xiao led the way down to the kitchen. They sat across from each other on the table. Xiao ordered a variety of food for them which made Venti's stomach growl at the thought of. The chef delivered their meal not to late after. They dug in, silent for the most part, which is something that Xiao preferred. He watched Venti eat happily. That's when he accidentally noticed some sauce on his face that Venti had probably not realized was there.