⇢ prelude

E P I G R A P H

E P I G R A P H

"In Hawaii, we greet friends, loved ones, or strangers with Aloha, which means love. Aloha is the key word to the universal spirit of real hospitality, which makes Hawaii renowned as the world's center of understanding and fellowship. Try meeting or leaving people with Aloha. You'll be surprised by their reaction.

Duke Kahanamoku

"Just take your time - wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one."

Duke Kahanamoku

"Mōhala i ka wai ka maka o ka pua"

Unfolded by the water are the faces of flowers.

—Hawaiian Proverb

S Y N O P S I S

In the heart of Oahu, Hawai'i, the Kahananui family was born.

Hokulani may exist by the warmth of an everlasting Hawaiian sun, but she survives by the light of the moon and the sweet rocking waves of the instruments she no longer plays.

It's not that she doesn't speak the musical language anymore; it's just hard for her to find the right notes when they remind her so much of a time she's been struggling to move past for years. And though none of them are willing to admit it, the ghost of their past has been weighing down heavily on her family. But surviving is what they do best, and sometimes that means brushing their heartaches under the rug instead of pulling back the curtains to let the light in.

After her sister's best friend invites them to a house party one evening in Kailua, two currents collide when Hokulani meets Nikau, an aspiring musician from Aotearoa who's spending the next year in Hawai'i working on finishing his debut album.

From the first verse, the two musically-inclined wandering souls find a sense of understanding, existing on the same wavelengths, even if by different paces. And though she tries her best not to get attached to someone whose time in Hawai'i (and her life) will eventually come to an end, Nikau helps reignite a spark in her she once thought she'd completely forgotten.

The Kahananui women might be strong, but they have a lot to work through before they find calm waters, assuming this is possible. Hokulani believes so. She has to, or else she'll find herself sinking to the bottom of the ocean with no way of pulling herself out, where the light of the moon may no longer reach her.

 She has to, or else she'll find herself sinking to the bottom of the ocean with no way of pulling herself out, where the light of the moon may no longer reach her

F O R E W O R D

hi! welcome to my little corner of wattpad, where the water is nice and there is no shortage of aloha. here at north star we (finally) dive back into the waters of hawai'i and explore the dynamics of a hawaiian family, as well as show off my love for music once again.

D E D I C A T I O N

to the place that has made me into who i am, and to all those born with salt water in their veins. we are the people of the ocean; may the winds carry our voices across the entire world, and may the rest of the world hear us in return.

and to ashtyn (falling-into-you), my fellow long book writing queen. thank you for the endless inspiration. love you.

C O N T E N T

⇢ hawaiian excellence

⇢ family angst

⇢ dual timelines

⇢ completely character driven, barely a plot ♡

⇢ my inner band geek coming out to say hi!

⇢ excessive music and ocean metaphors

WILL ALSO INCLUDE:

strong language ⇠

discussions of mental health ⇠

mild sexual content (no smut) ⇠

tw: cancer, death, abortion,
depression, mention of self harm ⇠

D I S C L A I M E R S

the opinions of these characters may not necessarily reflect my own

⚠︎
please refrain from leaving comments that reference another book/movie/tv show. we are here to discuss my work, not someone else's.
⚠︎

C O P Y R I G H T

© 2022-2023 Stephanie Midorii, smidorii

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher

This story is only available on the orange w app (aka watt!pad!). If you are reading it anywhere else, it has been illegally stolen and you are at risk of malware and viruses.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and events are either products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to any real persons or events is purely coincidental.

tldr: plagiarism is shitty so don't do it!