07 | bejeweled pt. ii

2019

Alex and Zach made kickass beer pong partners.

Between the two of them, they were the undefeated champs by the time we all decided to stop letting our asses get handed to us. If I had actually been the one drinking all of my cups, I probably would have been miserable, but I found myself laughing along with everyone. So loudly, in fact, that I didn't even hear when Nikau finally arrived at the party fashionably late.

My eyes wandered over him carefully, trying not to draw attention to myself. It was that weird phenomenon we all slipped into unintentionally, convinced everyone was staring at us even though they weren't. Realistically, I knew that, because the new face amongst a crowd of people who had mostly known each other their entire lives was never going to go unnoticed.

It also didn't help that everyone was predictably drawn to his kiwi accent whenever he talked. I didn't blame them. (Or myself.)

He carved his way through the crowd, making any necessary introductions and greeting everyone else he already knew. I found myself making a conscious effort to look away every once in a while, even though I still found myself eventually going back to him.

"Did I miss it?" Nikau asked as he walked up beside me while I stacked empty red cups together. "Such a shame."

It was later in the day than I anticipated us staying here, but we were having a good time so I didn't mind it. Since it was a smaller gathering with far fewer people, and especially fewer strangers, it was less suffocating than most house parties I was dragged to. Even when I walked outside and found a place to myself for a few minutes, it never felt like enough at those places. Today, I didn't even need it. I thought about it at some point, but then someone cracked a joke and I found myself laughing along with them.

Cal had recently installed a fire pit in his backyard, so everyone congregated around it as the sun dipped low in the sky, casting a deep orange hue around us. It was still spring, but I didn't find it cold enough to stand near it, as nice as I was sure it was for all of them. I wasn't sold on standing next to any open flame most days.

"You didn't miss much," I replied honestly. "Alex and Zach wiped the floor with all of us. It was embarrassing."

Nikau, standing with his hands tucked into his pockets, leaned into me, forcing me to stick one leg out to keep steady. He laughed at the confused look I shot him and took half a step back. "Can't be that embarrassing for you if you didn't drink anything."

"Maybe I just have impeccable motor skills even while I'm drunk," I stated defiantly.

"We've only seen each other twice before this, and one of those times was when you were munted. I know the difference."

That was a poor attempt on my end. I should have seen it coming.

"Also, Nani almost fell into the fire pit so I'm going to assume she carried your team."

Well, that would explain why Anthony was now strategically placed between her and the fire pit. I hadn't even noticed.

"Anthony said you were working late?"

It wasn't a confirmation I needed. He looked tired and smelled like smoke, the same way I did whenever I ate Korean barbecue. I couldn't help but think about how I would have never agreed to come here if I had worked earlier in the day. There was a strict daily time limit I had for socializing with people, and working in retail meant that allotment was pushed far past its limit every single day I worked. I needed all the time I could get to re-energize after work even just to have a meaningful conversation with my own family, let alone friends.