In Darkest Days

[RING]
Damon's phone buzzed as his ladylove phoned him on FaceTime, then took his phone out of his school bag, he made a big smile before answering the phone.
Damon and Charissa grinned lustrously seeing each other on the phone.

"Hi, Damon."

"Hey Rissa, how are you?"

"I'm okay, are you done with classes?"

"Yep, the teacher just left, next class is in an hour."

"I miss you, Damon, I called to see your face."

"This is the third time you're FaceTiming me, babe."

"I know, I just wanna keep seeing your gorgeous face."

"Okay now, you're gonna render me blushing. I miss seeing your beautiful face too. So what did you do today?"

"Laundry, shopping with Mom and Toby, and I cleaned my room."

"That's cute. Sometimes I wish I have a brother but this way I get to have everything to myself, so no thanks."

"It's fun having siblings but they can be annoying sometimes, imagine Toby coming to my room and..."

"Damon sweetie, can I have your pen real quick?" Charissa sees a young lass bend to Damon's chair, her hand resting on his shoulders. Charissa became uncomfortable in an instant, the lady resting her hand on Damon's shoulder was not her concern but the face of who it was.

"Darla Reeves? What is she doing in Massachusetts?"

"Uhh... She got into MIT too."

"What is she doing with you? Why is she talking to you?"

"Rissa, it's not what you think, she has been a good friend ever since I got here."

"A good friend? Ever since you've been in Massachusetts?"

"Rissa, this is not a good time to argue."

"Oh, now you suddenly wanna hang up when I'm asking a genuine question? You wanna hang up because she's right beside you?"

"No, that's not what I mean..."

Charissa terminated the call, and Damon became an emotional wreck, he tried to call Charissa back but she wouldn't pick up.

"What's the deal with your jealous girlfriend? You didn't tell her we have been friends?"

"I didn't tell her yet because I think she isn't ready to hear that, and now I'm in so much trouble because of you."

"Because of me, Damon? How did you not tell your girlfriend that we are now friends my fault? No, it's not my fault, That's on you! You brought this upon yourself. Don't you try to blame me for your negligence!"

Damon evacuated his seat in frustration and left the classroom. When he got home he contacted Charissa countless times but she keeps dismissing his calls, he sent several texts but everything he tried was to no avail.
Charissa is bothered that Damon could end up falling in love with Darla since they both kissed when they were still in high school. She thought they will get to see each other every day, talk every day, hang out, and possibly fall in love with each other, Charissa's resentment enhanced as Damon keeps calling and sending texts.
Three days after, Charissa chose to pick up the phone to hear Damon out.

"What do you want?"

"Rissa, I'm sorry I should have told you I met Darla, I don't want anything with her, she apologized to me and I forgave her, that's when we started talking. We got to be friends because she was the only one I knew from Phoenix."

"How long have you been talking to her?

"We met on the plane, she came to me and apologized."

"Since the day you left Phoenix, do you have any idea how long that has been? It's been four months and you didn't think that's a long time not to tell me about meeting her?"

"I'm sorry I should have told you sooner."

"But you didn't! Perhaps because you still think about the nice moment you had with her."

"No, don't say that babe. Why would you make assumptions like that? You know I love you and I care about you only!"

"Oh yeah? If you cared about me so much, why did you keep your friendship with her a secret?"

"I... I... I don't have an excuse, I'm sorry babe."

"No you're not, I hope you have a good life with her!"

Charissa cried painfully after she dropped the call, she was hurt that Damon was feasibly cheating on her with Darla. Damon was confused, hurt, and angry that Charissa assumed that he betrayed her, he made up his mind not to call first because he was not guilty while Charissa hoped he would call and apologize once more. They didn't talk for weeks, after school break when Damon went to Phoenix he didn't call Charissa, and slowly their affection begins to wane.
Jordan encouraged Damon to call Charissa to settle their dispute but his ego was greater than his humility. When he returned to Massachusetts, Darla admitted guilt for yelling at him previously and they came to terms of becoming friends again, she was constantly there to rave him up whenever he became gloomy over Charissa, and slowly they both fell in love.
Charissa became depressed, every day she would try to decipher the letters written in the note Damon gave her on her seventeenth birthday, she just wish Damon would call or text her to make her feel better but she never heard from him, Joan and Jordan stood by her to help her heal, she was dreary to see Damon post pictures of him and Darla on his socials all cheerful and satisfied after he broke her heart. She was right, she understood Damon was going to fall in love with Darla upon getting to see each other every day after she almost ruined them in high school, it's safe to say Darla did succeed in ruining the once amorous lovers.