001

The one thing I hate about having a dad in the army, is being relocated. I've never been at the same school for over a year, so you'd think I'd be used to starting a new school. But for some reason it just gets harder and harder, I know what could go wrong so I'm so focused on making sure that doesn't happen, something else goes wrong. Maybe I should stop caring, after all I won't be at this school for long enough for them to remember me. So walking into the classroom I don't take a deep breathe, I don't focus on how I look, I don't focus on all the eyes staring at me. All I focus on is making my last year of high school one to remember.

"Everyone this is Ruth Astor, she recently got relocated to the area so I would like everyone to make her feel welcome." Is all I get from my teacher, he rambles on about something else but I've decided to ignore him. Instead I scan the class from for empty seats, there one. That's all there is, one. Not much of a choice, not much of a good seat either. It's in the second row on the end, and there's a girl sat next to the desk. "Ruth," Mr.what ever his name was grabs my attention, "why don't you go take a seat next to Maddison."

"Sure." I reply, I don't have much of a choice. Before I can even sit down the girls speaks, "hey, I'm Maddison." She's way to smiley for a Monday morning, making me wonder what in the world could be making her so happy. "Hi," I reluctantly say. I search my bag for a pen and my book, "shit." I whisper to myself, but apparently I'm loud enough for Miss.Smiley to hear me, "did you forget something?"

"Yeah a pen." I sigh, she starts digging in her bag and stops when she finds a pen. She holds it out for me to grab so I do, "thanks." She maybe to smiley for a Monday but she seems nice. First period goes by quick, and I suddenly find myself in second period. Yet again everyone's staring at me, but I don't care, I don't focus on them.

I chose break as my opportunity to breathe, I got to the toilets and lock myself in a cubicle. I stare at the floor as I wait for my phone to turn on, when it finally does I have no signal. What the hell is this school?

Forth and fifth go by smoothly, and lunch is here the part of the day I dread. Having to eat by yourself since you know no one, "hey Ruth!" A voice says, I look down the hall and see Maddison stood there. Maybe I won't be eating alone, "hey." I walk towards her, she begins walking again directing to me to the cafeteria. "So are you enjoying your first day?" She questions me.

"Yeah it's good, I'm used to moving schools so it's normal to me." I lie.

"How come?" We enter the cafeteria, I follow her like a lost dog behind her to a table. "My dads in the army so we move around a lot." I tell her.

I sit down next to her, "that's more interesting then my dad's job, he works in an office." Maddison tells me, everyone tells me that. But they wouldn't like it, having to move all the time, never getting real friends. I begin eating my sandwich, when they walk in. "Holy shit, Atlas Hughston got hot!" Maddison's looking in the same direction as I am, and drooling over some guy. There's a group of guys, I must admit all not bad looking. "Who are they?" I ask Maddison, turning to her.

"They are the hockey boys, hockey is the most popular sport round here. Not to boast or anything, but we are pretty good." Maddison tells me, hockey? Last time I checked there's a beach ten minutes away from this school, and their favourite sports hockey? "How about you come and watch them train with me tonight? I have to go watch anyway, my brother plays and he takes me home." Maddison suggests, watching people play sports isn't my thing. "I don't kn— nope don't wanna hear it." Maddison cuts me off, not giving me a choice.

I'm not going to lie, this is probably best first day of school. Until now, my hands are freezing and I have to watch guys hit a puck around for a hour. "Please tell me why this is entertaining?" I question her, I don't this entertaining what so ever. "Matches are better, they smash each other about." Maddison tells me, now this grabs my attention. "That sounds more fun to watch." I say.

The boys begin a small match, "you see number four, with Riley on the back of his shirt?" Maddison asks me, "yeah I see him."

"He's my brother."

"Your brothers hot." I admit, he was the hottest out of them all. Well the ones I looked at.

"Shut up!" Maddison pushes me, making us both laugh.

"Maddie!" I chuckle, Maddie? Where the hell did that come from.

"Maddie? I like Maddie." Maddie tells me.

My eyes drift back to the ice, someone's just scored and doesn't seem bothered by it. I continue to watch and realise he's good, really good. "Who's that?" I turn to Maddie.

"Which one?" She asks me, I look back at the ice.

"Number eight, Matthews." I reply, he's once again scored and once again unbothered.

"Why you like him?"

"God no! He's just good."

"Well, he's Beckham Matthews. Also known as Mr.Popular, mostly with the girls they all obsess over him. And I will admit he's amazing at hockey." She informs.

"Sounds like an asshole." I make Maddie laugh with my comment.

"You wanna hang at my house?" Maddie asks me.

"Yeah, why not?"

Sometimes I wish I could look into the future, twenty minutes ago I call a guy an asshole. Now I'm sat behind him in a car. Maddison left out a small detail on how, Beckham and her brother, Mason are best friends. "So you're the new kid?" Mason asks me, new kid? I hate that nickname.

"Yep." I reply not wanting to talk to him. Luckily Beckham stops the conversation, "so are yous two coming to watch the first game?" He asks us.

"Obviously." Maddie replies.

"I don't kn— she's coming." Does she alway do that? 

First Chapter Thoughts?