002

Day number two of school, and for some reason I don't hate it. I've managed to make a friend, who's pretty cool.

"Hey, Ruth how are we?" Maddie asks me, as I sit in the seat next to hers. "I'm good, what about you?" I reply smiling, I I've remembered a pen today. "As good as always."

The bell goes, and I find myself on the way to second period. I look down at the piece of paper in my hands, and come to the conclusion I'm lost. "For fuck sake." I sigh, I look around to ask someone. But my eyes get distracted as I see them. Mason, Beckham and two other boys, "see you guys later, I've got math." Math? I begin to follow behind him, unfortunately for me he notices, "please tell me your not a stalker."

"No just lost." I sigh, he comes to a stop and I realise he's waiting for me to catch up.

"So your the new kid?" He asks, making me groan.

"What you don't like being call that, new kid?" He teases me.

"Who are you?" I question, stoping him from using the nickname.

"Atlas Hughston, and you are?"

"Ruth Astor." I answer, "so you're on the hockey team?" I make an attempt in making small talk.

"Yeah, I play in goal. It's a shame really that I play in net." Atlas tells me, we've finally reached the classroom and I take this as my opportunity to make another friend. He sits at the back, so I do. I sit next to him and luckily for me he only smiles. "What's so bad about playing in goal? I ask him.

"No one appreciates my pretty face." He smirks, I'm must admit he is pretty. But not my type, "well if it's any help I think your pretty." I compliment him.

"Yeah, yeah. But what's your opinion on Beckham?" Beckham? Is everyone obsessed with him.

"He's an asshole." I answer, he turns to me with a blank face. I can't tell if he's offended because he's Beckham's friend or surprised I don't like him. "Really?"

"From what I've been told he sound like one." I tell him.

"Maybe an asshole, but he's fucking amazing at hockey." Atlas says, "so are you going to the hockey game tonight?"

"I don't know, I'm not much a fan of hockey." I tell him, making him go ballistic. "Not much of a hockey fan! How can you not like hockey?" He questions me, I don't have an answer and I know I don't. So I choose to ignore him.

Lunch arrives quickly, I look over the cafeteria to find Maddie and after a swift look I find her. "So you met Atlas?" Maddie is quick to ask me.

"Yeah, why?"

"No reason." She says guilty.

"You like him!" I say.

"Keep your voice down." She spits, annoyed.

"Oh, so you do?"

"Shut up!"

We both laugh, and for the first time in a long while I feel happy. Actually happy, with a good friend. But like always the though of my father destroys this, knowing that soon I'll be in another state. "Are you okay?" Maddie asks me, I begin to mess with fingers.

"Yeah I'm fine." I tell her, my fingers are still twiddling with each other. "You can't say no but I'm going to ask any way. Do you wanna go to the hockey match?" I've now realised, that Atlas is going to think I've come to watch because he asked me. "Actually I want to go." I tell her, making her gobsmacked. Before she can even asks for a reason, we are interrupted. "Hey, Maddie!" Jesus shitting Christ, I don't think my ears have ever heard such a high pitch sound. "Hi Poppy." Maddie reply's.