Chapter 9

Happy June! Here is an update for you all.

TW: Mentions of SA.

********

"Tori!"

Torch was shouting and pushing a drunk Snake out of the booth. The bar had grown louder, and she wasn't able to hear him. Snake finally fell out of the booth and Torch was running to the bar. I could hear Minnie's voice shouting from the booth next to us. Somehow, Torch made it there and was able to pick her up before she touched him.

Rage turned around at all the ruckus, focused on Tori for a second, then turned back around. As Torch talked to her, Rage listened and slowly turned around at everything he said. Rage snarled something towards Torch, and when he stood from his stool, Minnie was rushing towards them, along with Pres.

I held on to Titan next to me, and when Minnie made eye contact with me as she lifted Tori up, I grabbed him and picked him up.

"Carla," I passed her on my way out.

"Thank you for inviting me," she reached up to kiss me on the cheek.

"Sorry we have to cut it short. The kids have this fascination with Rage because they can't touch him—"

"No worries," she cooed. "Thank you for introducing me to everyone. They're all lovely." She slid her jacket on and hobbled out of the booth.

"Still–I'll bring you here another day so you can stay longer than—" I glanced at my watch "—twenty minutes."

"It's fine," Carla said with a roll of her eyes. I looped her arm through mine and slowly walked back to the car. Pres took Josie to bed and never reappeared, while Maya stayed to talk some more. Tori and Titan were very quickly put to bed, and by the time we left, there weren't nearly half as many members at the bar as there were before.

When we strolled out arm-in-arm, Rage was fidgeting near the outside corner of the clubhouse...the farthest point from the gate.

"Is he going to be okay?" Carla pointed a finger at him.

"Let me get you in the car, and I'll go check," I muttered. Carla looked hesitant but nodded anyway and let me carefully seat her in the front seat. I jogged around to the driver's side to start the car quickly before moving towards the corner.

"Hey, man," I greeted. My feet kept a respectable distance from him, but he didn't stop fidgeting. I never received an answer. His feet stayed rooted to the ground, but his fists tightened and his eyes clenched shut.

"Alone, man," he insisted. I shook my head.

"You good?"

"I wasn't going to fucking touch her, man. I never would!" His voice raised higher than I'd heard in a long time and his eyes popped open.

"We know. Trust me, we know. Everyone just gets nervous around her and men and drinkin'," I assured.

"Sure," Rage huffed out a breath and closed his eyes again. Gravel rustled behind Rooster, and he wasn't surprised when Carla laid a hand on his back.

"Estas bien?" She murmured.

"Todo esta bien," Rampage grumbled before lifting himself from the wall he'd been leaning on. My jaw practically unhinged from my mouth as I watched him stomp away with his fists still tight.