Chapter 22

Hope everyone enjoys!

********

I normally hated my real name.

It felt like the old me, and the only good reminder of the old me was when my mom called me by her nicknames.

Viper–no, Vivian–calling me by that name? It was life changing. I had more to learn about her, but I was sure I was one of the only people on this planet to know her real name, and that was something I was going to hold close.

Vivian and I ended our date quietly, but with smiles on our faces. We'd just made it back to the compound and she was all over me. Her hands were around my shoulders as she slid off the bike, and I didn't even step off before my lips were on hers.

"Hold on," I laugh and kick the stand up on my bike before stepping off. Vivian and I's lips lock once more, and I wave off the wolf whistle that comes from the front of the gate. I pick her up so she can wrap her legs around me, and I start walking inside when her phone rings.

Vivian sighs and brings her legs back down, reaching into her back pocket for her phone.

"Hello?" I stand there patiently while she listens on the phone. She takes a look at me and bites her lip before agreeing with the person on the phone and hung up.

"You have to go?" I guessed. Vivian gave me a contrite smile. "That's fine. I'll be waiting for you when you get back."

"Naked?" Vivian grinned at me and wrapped her arms around me.

"That's a promise," I agreed with a chuckle. Vivan sneaks me a kiss before darting to her own bike and rushing off. I twirled my bike's keys in my hand and flipped off whoever was wolf-whistling at me again, even though she was gone.

Before I could even make it in the front door, my phone was ringing too.

"Mijo," Carla's nervous voice came out of the speaker. My eyebrows scrunched together, because she typically was calling me with happy news–or sometimes, even to yell at me.

"Carla?" I questioned.

"There is," Carla paused as a small squeal escaped her, and I rushed to turn back and get on my bike. "There is a man here wanting to speak to you. Only you."

Fuck! What the hell was happening? I hadn't seen Carla in so long. My mom was at the compound, and Vivian was on her way to work. Why go after Carla?

"I'm on my way, Carla. Are you okay?" I listened for a response before starting my bike. It sounded like Carla was trying to get a response out before the line hung up. I cursed and slid my helmet on, started up my bike, and rushed out of the gates as soon as they opened. I used my bluetooth to connect to Comp's phone.

"Hello?" Comp's voice was groggy like he'd just woken up.

"I need you to track me," I demanded. "I'm on my way to a potential hostage situation with someone close to me. They're demanding to speak to me and only me, but I need you to have backup ready."

"Copy that," Comp said. He sounded much more alert now, and I swore I could hear pounding footsteps in the background. Queenie's voice came over the speaker.

"Rooster, take your helmet in with you. We'll leave our connection up and your microphone on," she demanded. I agreed and took the last turn onto Carla's road.

"I'm approaching now," I warned.

"Mike and the others are on their way." That was the last thing I'd heard before I practically skidded into the driveway and yanked my helmet off. I almost set it on my bike, but tucked it under my arm and rushed to her front door.