~ Roles ~

Rainsong's POV

"Rainsong! Rainsong! Rainsong!" Cried the exciting voice of Cloudkit. He was currently bouncing over to me, an expression of pure joy spread all over his face. "I'm going to be an apprentice!" He said proudly the moment he reached me, he puffed up his chest in a proud manner. Oh wait, Cloudkit was nearly my height now.

I purred happily. "Congratulations, Cloudkit. I can't see any kit more deserving of it right now." I nuzzled him with my muzzle against his cheek. He was purring, and his purr was nothing but prideful.

"But that means we can't play moss-ball anymore, you know that right?" I asked him, my voice refusing to hide my sadness.

"I know, but one day, when I'm a warrior, we'll play it one more time." He promised me, his eyes shining with delight.

"By the time you're a warrior, I'll be an elder!" I teased. "Possibly even near my time to die, so you better become a warrior quickly, my time's running!"

"Well then I'll take care of you! Make sure that you never have aching bones, or dirty bedding and no tic will ever harm you again!" Cloudkit insisted. "I have experience already!"

"Oh, don't worry, I'm sure all the tics that dare enter the elders' den will leap off and run out the den!" I joked affectionately. Then I licked him on the ear and told him to go tell Fireheart.

I watched the ceremony in complete silence. I was debating whether or not to cheer when the time came. I already knew some cats wouldn't. But I felt that if I did, Tigerclaw wouldn't trust me as much but if I didn't Cloudkit would question it. Actually, just this once Tigerclaw won't affect my decision.

"Cloudpaw!" I cried joyously with the half of the clan that cheered. My eyes locked onto Cloudpaw's blue eyes. He was evidently feeling a bit disappointed that it wasn't the entire clan that had cheered for him. I sent him an encouraging look that was supposed to tell him to ignore the cats that didn't cheer. As I got up to go congratulate him personally, Tigerclaw cleared his throat. Evidently he was asking me to choose. I rolled my eyes at him, trying to make it seem as if I wasn't going to go to Cloudpaw. Instead of walking to Cloudpaw, I walked to Whitestorm in a rather haughty manner. Okay, Whitestorm was surprised to see me, but Tigerclaw grunted and walked away. So my improvisation worked.

~ I Think You Know What This Means ~

I mostly tuned out the argument about what to do with the kits. But I did catch Tigerclaw saying that Graystripe had no right to anything because he was a traitor. My muzzle opened, but before I could say anything, I closed it. What was the point? Tigerclaw wasn't going to be fazed.

I could practically feel Fireheart's green eyes boring into my pelt. My cheeks burned with shame, I wanted to defend Graystripe so dearly, but I couldn't. I had figured out Silverstream's question, and it bothered me. Those times she was looking at me with those begging but fiery eyes, she had been asking me to take care of Graystripe and their kits. I so very much wanted to do what she had been asking me, but with what I had planned, it wasn't any bit possible. Because soon enough, I would be dead to everyone that ever cared for me.

"What do you think about the kits, Rainsong?" Bluestar asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

Snapping my head back up from their position of looking down at my paws, I answered: "They aren't old enough to cross the river. We should wait till after they are old enough to travel and make a decision then. It's pointless trying to decide before the kits' eyes have even opened."

Bluestar nodded in agreement with my statement, then I didn't pay attention. I would have to start distancing myself from everyone. Frostfur, Brindleface, Longtail, Dustpelt, Whitestorm and Bluestar. I could not let any cat think that I was trying to spy on Tigerclaw. But at the last moment, I will secretly tell Bluestar that I will always only ever be on ThunderClan's side.