Prologue

Fate is fickle. You never know what it has in store for you or the others around you. You never know when it will hit you, or where it will hit you. That's why when fate came knocking on my doorstep I was sitting at my favorite coffee shop on the corner, reading a murder mystery book. I never expected to hear the ding of my phone and have fate slap me across the face.

I still don't know how I am connected to any of this. I choose to believe it was fate that led them to me. I often wonder what would've happened if I had never been dragged into Hannah's disappearance. Would they have found her? Would Jake and I have met at a little Chinese restaurant as two passing strangers?

If it hadn't been for fate I wouldn't have acquired 5 new friends, and I never would've known about this strange little town of Duskwood. Strange as it may sound, I'm glad fate intervened. Whoever actually sent Thomas my number opened up a door to a life I never imagined. It isn't always easy, sticking around and helping them solve a case that I know little about. Yet somehow, this is where I belong.

Fate is fickle. I don't personally know any of them. I've never sat down at the Aurora and had a drink with them, I've never shared inside jokes with them, but I would give my life for them in a second. They've given me more than friendship, they've given me a family that I haven't had in a long time.