Chapter Twelve

I was so sure Alan would let me down. When he told me he couldn't help me, I wasn't sure where to go. I stayed in Duskwood to search for a way to free Jake. After what he did with Hannah he deserved it. Alan was my only lead, and now I know he will help me. "I won't ask questions that could incriminate him Ella. I will help with whatever you are needing, but I have to stay in the shadows to do so." I understood. He could lose his job if he were caught helping me. "I appreciate any help you can give me, Alan. I need more sleep, but if you come by again tomorrow I will have a clear head." Knowing I could only pull him in so far, I needed to figure out exactly where I needed him to start.

As he left, the hope in my heart renewed. Images of Jake played in my mind as I was falling back asleep. I would do anything I could for him to walk the streets again, free of worry and fear. I had to stay strong, convincing myself that Jake had gotten away from the mine safely and that I would be hearing from him soon.

I woke up feeling refreshed. I needed a good night's sleep and now I can focus again. I needed to find a way to get Jake's pursuers off his back, but I had little to go on. I knew nothing about them, or what he had done to be put in the spotlight. The thought of asking the others for help has crossed my mind, but they are finally all safe. I didn't want to drag them back into more trouble again. I had to do this one on my own.

    I got up and got dressed for the day. I was now in the town with my new adopted family, yet I've never felt more alone. I grab my phone and room keys off the dresser and head out. Deciding to find the pawn shop, I needed to get my hands on a computer. I was passing the library when I heard my phone chime in my pocket. Would my heart ever stop racing at a simple phone chime?

     Jake: I am safe.
    Oh thank goodness! I felt my body relax, the tension of not knowing flowing out of my body.
    Ella: You don't know how glad I am to hear that.
    Jake: (:
    Jake: You're still in Duskwood.
    That wasn't a question, he knew for certain I was still here.
    Ella: Yes. I have something to take care of.
    Jake: You've been speaking to Alan.

    I didn't know how to respond. My dear sweet overprotective hacker. He wouldn't be happy about what I was trying to do, nor about Alan's involvement in the matter. I had to keep it a secret, not only from him but from everyone. The only problem was, you couldn't keep things secret from a hacker when you had to search for the answers.