Chapter Ten

I was crushed. I truly expected Alan to be more willing to at least hear me out. I was going to help Jake with or without him, but with him would've been the preferred option. I needed a drink, I wonder if the Aurora is open. It's almost a quarter to noon, probably not. Lucky for me, the owner owes me a drink.

Ella: Phil?
Phil: What's up cutie? :)

I was beginning to question how much I needed that drink. Something to take the edge off would be nice, but there was only so much flirting I could handle.

Ella: ...is the bar open? I need a stiff drink.
Phil: It's always open to you. I can make them as stiff as you need :)
Ella: I'll be there in a bit. Thanks.

They released Phil after they took Richy to the hospital. He was in bad shape when they got him there, but he will be okay. I wasn't ready to meet Phil one on one, but my mind was racing and I needed something to help me process my thoughts. Thankfully, Jake sent me a map of Duskwood a while back. There were certain places that I could find based on that map, the Aurora being one of them. It didn't take me long to see the bar. Phil was already waiting for me when I walked up. "It's about time we meet, Ella." I tried to give him my best this isn't awkward at all smile, and walked through the door he was holding open.

It was very nice here, it was dim but not scary. I started off with a glass of whiskey. Phil brought it over and sat down in front of me. "What's with the glum face?" He chuckled, but he was right. "Guess it's just not my week." It'd been a while since I've had a drink, so that first sip of the whiskey burned my throat more than usual. I must've made a face because Phil laughed as he got up to get water. "What's on your mind Ella? I didn't expect you to come here alone." This was the most serious I'd ever heard from him. I couldn't have this conversation on one sip of whiskey alone. I tipped the glass up and took it all as a single shot.

"I've been disappointed this week, more than I planned on ever letting myself be again in my life." Phil took his place across from me, and leaned forward. He wanted more explanation than that. "I guess I've given too many people that I don't know expectations they couldn't meet. Richy, I trusted him, liked him even and he turned out to be the one we were trying to find." I looked down at my hands, making the knots in my heart visible as they tangled around each other. "I went to see Alan." Phil seemed surprised. He pulled a cigarette from his pocket and with a curious look, lit it. "Go on."

"I needed his help for something, but he refused me." This conversation was not helping. My heart sank in my chest again. "Okay...and when do you take no for an answer?" Puzzled, I looked up at him. He raised his hands in surrender. "All I'm saying is, the Ella I spoke to the other day wouldn't have given up so easily."