Chapter Fourteen

Our lunch was served as I sat there emotionless. Both of us were waiting for the other to speak. I'd waited for so long to hear her tell me why I was dragged into this, all for that mystery to go unsolved. "I'm sorry I can't give you more clarity." I solemnly lifted my head to find Hannah playing with her food, she was obviously uncomfortable. "I wish I could tell you why it was you. I really do. You saved me, sending Alan. I know you want answers, but I want you to know that I'm glad it was you."

"It's fine. It'll all come to light, eventually." I believed that. One day we would find the answers we all needed. For now, what we had needed to be enough. Hannah and I finished our lunch, and by the end we were laughing together like two old friends. "We're all meeting at the Aurora tonight, if you'd like to come." Her voice was hopeful. I suppose I couldn't put this off forever, after telling her I'd be there we parted ways. I went back to the motel to take a minute to myself. So many questions still going unanswered, so many things that still needed to be figured out.

        Maybe the next time I spoke with Alan I could ask him if he knew whether or not Richy sent my number. It was a nice lunch that ended in laughter as Hannah and I finally got to know one another. For a moment, everything felt normal again. Like she was an old friend I had run into while I was in town. When we left the cafe, she stopped me. "Lilly told me about Jake. I still can't believe he's our brother." A slight laugh left her throat and I knew she was remembering her initial feelings with him. "I'm still getting used to the idea of him as a brother, but I wanted you to know there's no awkward feelings. You'd be good for him."

I didn't get the chance to say anything in response before she smiled as she turned on her heel and walked the opposite direction. I wasn't sure if her telling me that quelled any awkwardness inside myself. I still had a laptop to get so I walked to the pawn shop down the street. Figuring it was time to see my friends tonight, I'd been here long enough without a proper sit down with any of them. I pulled my phone from my pocket, and sent them all an invite to the bar Aurora. A smile crossed my face as one by one they agreed to meet up.

The pawn shop was small. Thankfully they had one laptop in stock, it would be enough for me to get what I needed done. I had a little bit of time after returning to the motel so I decided to start it up and get a little research in. I decided I'd start with the only FBI agent I was familiar with. If I could figure out what his position was maybe I could have Alan reach out to him about Jake. I lost track of time in the cases he'd solved in his time with the FBI. I scribbled down his phone number and quickly got dressed for the meeting with my friends.