Chapter Eleven

I didn't want to be at the Aurora come opening time, so I took my glasses to the sink in the bar and looked back at Phil. "Thank you. You're right. It's worth another shot." He winked at me. "Anytime you need to be reminded you're a badass let me know." As much of a flirt as he is, maybe he really is just misunderstood. He followed me to the door and waved as he locked it behind me. Working my way back to the motel my phone dinged. I pull it out of my pocket in haste hoping it's Jake.

Jessy: How is the motel?
Ella: It's welcoming. Not home though. I'll be here for a few days.
Jessy: Phil messaged me. You went to the Aurora?
Ella: I needed a drink. I've got some stuff I'm trying to take care of while I'm here, but I'm hitting some dead ends.
Jessy: I see. We will get to see each other before you leave?
Ella: Of course.

I was a bit disappointed it wasn't Jake. I'm sure I'll be hearing from him soon, but for now I've got to get back to the hotel and figure out a different plan for Alan. The motel was even more pretty when the sun was setting. The white picket fence illuminated in the golden light. Walking into my room and seeing the bed made me realize just how exhausted I was from the previous day. I didn't get a good sleep last night. I laid down, only expecting to rest for a second.

I must've fallen asleep, because the knocking on the door startled me. I checked my phone and it was 10:02 PM. I groggily got up and went to the door, who would be here this late at night? I didn't have any messages or calls. I peep through the hole, and am shocked at who is standing on the other side. I put my hand on the door knob and take a deep breath, not sure what to expect next as I slowly open it.

"I know it's late. I'm sorry if I disturbed you. Could we talk?" Disturbed is an understatement. This town is definitely proving to be strange. "Alan, what are you doing here?" Great. My voice was patchy, it had to be evident he woke me up. "We need to talk, but I couldn't do it at the office." Makes sense, maybe he was more concerned with being overheard. I let him into the motel room and we sat down at the small table in the corner. "Back at Ironsplinter, do you remember me telling you the FBI was there?" How could I forget? He's part of the reason I was rushing to find Jake. It hadn't crossed my mind until now that it was odd that he would tell me that. "Of course." He leaned onto the table crossing his hands. "Ella, I knew Jake was in that mine. Once you sent the message that a friend was down there I knew it was him. I didn't tell you the FBI was there for no reason." He knew Jake was down there and he didn't go looking for him personally. "You let me know the FBI was there to protect Jake? Why?"

Maybe Alan knew more than he ever led on. It's obvious to me now that he can be trusted. He was helping Jake before he knew I needed him to. Still, his own motives were unclear. Capturing Jake and turning him in could've been a career changing move for him, so why didn't he take it? "You have to understand, as police we are limited by law with the things we can do. Jake didn't feel those limitations, and it's due to him that we found Hannah." Alan felt indebted to Jake. He saved him because Jake found Hannah.