Chapter Seven

Waking up the next morning was tough. My body was sore from the mines, and my brain was jumbled from all of the events. Pulling my pants on I felt something in the left pocket, I pulled out the piece of paper with my name written on it. My question of how the kidnapper got my name now answered. I slowly sat back on the bed, staring at my name wondering why it now felt so foreign. I'm not the same Ella I was a week ago. So much has happened over the past few days. We were expecting a much different outcome than what we got. Now knowing that Richy is the one who wrote my name on this piece of paper leaves me feeling conflicted. It's hard being brought in on the sidelines. Initially I didn't have a connection with any of them, now I feel it would've been easier if I didn't have any connections.

I drop these thoughts before I forget why I stayed in Duskwood. I still have some loose ends to wrap up, and the sooner I get it done the better. I searched around for the phone I haphazardly threw last night. I was too tired to make sure it was placed in a memorable spot. Finally finding it I sent a message to Alan.

Ella: I still owe you a coffee, Alan. Meet at the square at 8? I'm afraid I don't know of any good coffee places around here.

My nerves were racing waiting for his response. I was either going to get arrested as an additional suspect, or he would hear me out and keep true to his word that he didn't want to hurt me. It was a big risk to take. A big risk with necessary reasons.

Alan: 8 is good for me. I meant what I said. I just want to talk.

I didn't bring any kind of overnight bag with me, I was in too much of a rush. I found a local boutique and decided to stop in before coffee and pick up a few changes of clothes. Once I got back to the motel and changed it was time to head to the town square. Duskwood really was pretty. Strange as it may be, it had very beautiful old buildings, cobble roads, enough to make me wish I had brought a decent camera. This wasn't a touring trip though, I'd have to plan that for another time.