IV - Dear Loved One..

Just checking on you, is everything fine?
You know, one day, you will hold your hand in mine.
Soon, it will be over and you'll laugh about the misadventures you have faced, the misfortunes..

Hey, what can I do to make you happy?
I could give you my heart to make sure yours beat
Hey, can you breath?
I could give you oxygen from my own lungs
Hey, can you sleep?
I could sing you till you dream, of the day we meet again.

I could travel the world,
I could go any place,
if it means you are here with me..
I could fight any monster,
defeat any dragon,
if it means you are safe to be..

Free from imprisonment,
Happy with euphoria,
Laughing with amusement,
Crying with nostalgia..

But in the end, we are six feet apart,
Living in a world where it feels so hard,
To be happy, to be free, it's quite rad..
It's like something that makes you mad.

But if I could make anyone smile,
From miles and miles,
Then maybe I could make you feel,
Happy from six feet..

•~●~•

Explanation:

This poem was a special letter to a special person in my life that I was sadly unable to see for a couple of weeks due to the dire restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic, so yes, this is an older poem. Perhaps reaching two years of age.

It served as a lifeline-hope that we will meet again and laugh at the misfortunes that we had faced in those times and to keep holding on.

Since it was such a difficult, stressful time of our lives, it seemed like any form of entertainment to amuse my loved one was short-lived. So I began to make some offers to ensure their comfort, even if it reaches the point where it becomes a self-sacrifice. Offering the oxygen in my lungs, flowing in my blood to help them breathe comfortably, and sacrificing the peaceful sign of life that my heart offers to make sure their doesn't ache.

I continue to make offers to be their knight and save them from a monster or do what it takes to make them happy, but in the end, we were still six feet apart. (Which was a nod to the restrictions previously set during the pandemic that you shouldn't be in a close proximity with a person, not going closer than six feet to avoid cross-contamination.)

It was hard on the two of us to stay apart for long and not just from each other, but from other humans. It was preplexing to see what the world has become: cold with a taste of distrust and paranoia, but a lovely note to a person that you love, a message on the phone to a friend or a letter to a pen pal can make them smile, then maybe I shouldn't doubt my ability to make my loved one smile when all it takes to get to each other was just six feet.