prologue

⋆☆* ✧✰.✦

SOME KIDS ON ALDERAAN dreamed of being politicians and others dreamed of being artists, but Cassia Tarin had never been one of those kids. She had always enjoyed art, sure, and she appreciated democracy, but she had never really fancied a career in either. It had taken her a while to find her calling, but from the age of twelve (most kids knew what they wanted to do by the time they turned eight) she had made her decision: she was going to be a member of the Alderaan Security Forces.

One thing about Cas was that, if she set her mind to something, nothing was going to stand in her way. She trained, she talked to people she knew, she did everything she could to prepare herself-in fact, she was so prepared that by the time she joined the academy she could truly say she knew what she was getting herself into.

Or so she thought, anyway.

She joined the academy at seventeen, which was standard, and was one of only a few girls in her class, but she didn't mind. It was a year-long course and she was there to succeed, tuning out anyone and anything that could hinder her progress in any way. She instead put all her focus into her work, into observing her surroundings, and it was in those observations that she began to realize someone was taking an interest in her, someone who had the potential to change her life forever.

Senator Bail Organa had stopped by the academy on several occasions during her last few months. He watched a few training drills and spoke with the instructors, and Cas could tell he was looking for something in particular-or rather someone. She wasn't sure what he was planning, of course, but whatever it was had to be something of great importance if he was seeing it through himself. She had caught him watching her a few times, and it didn't take a genius to know that he was seriously considering her for whatever assignment he'd formulated in his head. Many would be intimidated by such attention, but for Cas it was only another reason to work even harder.

And, as it turned out, her efforts were rewarded, far more so than she could have ever imagined.

Cas knew exactly why she was pulled out of training that morning. It was the only logical explanation, and the more time that went by the more certain she became. Her instructor led her to a smaller room, one that held nothing but two chairs and a table. It was obvious they were waiting for someone, and while she didn't say a word she knew who it was they were waiting for. She didn't sit, instead deciding to stand behind the chair facing the door, and she didn't miss the proud look on her instructor's face as he relaxed into the other chair, no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

About ten minutes passed by before the door was pulled open again, and Cas had to refrain from smirking as her suspicions were confirmed. She stood at attention as Senator Bail Organa entered the room. Her instructor abruptly stood and made haste to to shake his hand.

"I apologize for my lateness," the senator said in a way that emphasized his authority as much as it highlighted his kindness. His statement was intentionally brief and Cas made a mental note of that.

"Not a problem," her instructor said, but that was all he said, leaving them alone and shutting the door behind him. Organa's eyes met Cas's, and she didn't even so much as blink. He studied her for a moment, and she got the odd feeling that he was looking into her soul. It was a silly thought, she knew that, but one didn't get as far as he did in politics without being able to read a person. Finally, after what felt like a lifetime, he offered her a small smile and took the seat across from her.

"At ease, cadet. Please," he told her kindly, gesturing to the chair she stood in front of. She hesitated only momentarily before coming to her senses and sitting down, and as she folded her hands in her lap she made sure to keep her posture pristine. Organa, meanwhile, relaxed far more than she allowed herself to, folding his hands on the table and leaning into them.
"You're not surprised to be here." It wasn't a question; he knew his presence had been expected by the young woman sitting before him. She blinked, but that was the only sign that his statement caught her off guard in any way.

"The queen visited once halfway through training, which I was told is standard. You started showing up a month ago, and returned with great frequency, which is not standard. You're looking for someone to fill a specific position, one that favors talents I alone possess." She wasn't being cocky or overconfident; she was merely relaying her observations and the inferences they had led to. He was fully aware of this, and found himself to be rather impressed. His decision had been made before he entered the room, but if it hadn't been, she would have convinced him then that she was just the one for the job.

"You graduate in two weeks, yes?" She gave him a single nod as a response.
"Your instructors say you are one of the best."

"One of," she repeated. She hadn't intended to speak unless asked to, but her observations had led to a single question, one that was burning inside her. He allowed her to continue.
"I'm not the top of my class, yet you sought me out anyway. Why?" She knew the question was blunt and that she wasn't there to ask questions, but luckily he didn't seem to mind. The corners of his lips turned up again and he shifted in his seat, enough to tell Cas he was going to let her in on the secret.

"My daughter Leia will be turning sixteen soon. With that age comes a great amount of responsibility. She will be traveling more, helping to provide aid and support to struggling systems. Unfortunately, more travel means more danger, and I am looking to appoint her a personal guard." There was more, she could see it on his face. He paused, letting out the smallest of chuckles as he thought of his daughter.
"But she's stubborn and resourceful, she will go off on her own if she feels the need to do so. As her personal guard, you wouldn't just be her protector, you'd be her confidant, her friend. Someone she can trust with everything she has." Cas could put the rest together for herself. She donned the faintest of smirks and crossed her arms on the table, leaning into them and mimicking his posture.

"And you want someone around her age who she'd be more likely to relate to." He was fully smiling now, and so was she. They were on the same page.

"Precisely. You would accompany her everywhere. Mostly you'd be a guard, but you could disguise yourself as an aide or assistant if the situation required it. An old friend of mine taught me that people like that are often looked past, and that can be used to your advantage." He paused a moment and allowed her to process the information. Then, he grew a bit more solemn.
"It would be dangerous at times, but I am more than confident in your abilities. From what I've seen and heard, no one is more worthy of this position than you are." Cas took some time to mull it over. Truthfully, she saw no downside and the job itself sounded quite appealing, but she didn't want to rush into things just because it would be a nice challenge. She considered her skills, whether she could actually do as good of a job as Organa thought she could. He was an excellent judge of character, and she knew he was right about her, too.

"All right," she said, sitting up straight once again and doing her best to keep her smile at a minimum.
"I'll do it."

⋆☆* ✧✰.✦

note:
Welcome besties !!! I don't often do prologues but I absolutely had to with this story, if for no other reason than to give background and throw in a subtle Padmé reference 🥺

Cas takes her work seriously, perhaps too seriously at times, and it's gonna play such a huge part in her dynamic with each character ahh I'm so excited !!!

Anyway ilysm and I'll see you in chapter one!