iv. the rebellion

⋆☆* ✧✰.✦

THEIR ESCAPE HAD BEEN TOO EASY, that much was obvious. The more Cas was able to think about it, the more she came to realize they were most likely being tracked. She had seen more Stormtroopers on the Death Star than ever before, yet when they entered the main hangar only a handful of troopers had been there to stand guard, and no more had come rushing in when their presence had been noticed. The Empire couldn't get the base location from Leia, so they were going to be led right to it; it made perfect sense. Hopefully the Rebellion would have enough time to study the plans and prepare for an attack.

Leia left the cockpit with a huff, surely because of something—or several things—Han had said. Truthfully, Cas's mind had begun to wander halfway through their conversation, but she didn't need to hear all of it to understand what had happened. Even as the princess went back to the main hold, Cas maintained her position in the doorway, arms crossed over her chest.

"What is your problem?" she asked the pilot, who looked up at her with a sort of amused exasperation.

"Me?" He got to his feet, leaning into the back of the seat.
"Ya know, something tells me you don't like me very much."

"An astute observation," Cas replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.
"And do you want to know why?" He gestured dramatically for her to continue.

"Enlighten me."

"You're reckless, you're arrogant, you're a pain in the ass, and you care more about money than you do about doing the right thing. To me, that makes you untrustworthy."

"Even when I just saved our asses from getting dusted by half a dozen TIEs?" he countered defensively.

"For all I know, the Empire contracted you to go to these lengths just to get the base location," she snapped. She knew it was unlikely, and even Han knew she didn't fully believe it, but she made her point loud and clear. Han narrowed his eyes and stood up straight. Any ounce of bitter amusement had left him completely, and she was fairly certain she had never seen him so serious.

"You can think of me however you'd like, but do not accuse me of working for the Empire, got it?" It wasn't a threat, and she didn't see it as such. Really, she understood where he was coming from, and while she still didn't like him, she did perhaps respect him a little more—not that she showed it, of course. She left the cockpit without another word.

Cas didn't head to the main hold where Leia was, instead deciding she needed a moment alone, and that the princess probably did too. She paced back and forth in the barracks hall for a few minutes; she would have continued on longer had Luke not slowed to a stop just outside the hall. He looked at her the way he always seemed to: like he truly cared about how she was doing. She couldn't explain it, but she could almost feel it, and it managed to bring her some comfort even then. She relaxed almost imperceptibly under his gaze.

"I heard your conversation with Han back there," he confessed quietly, pointing in the direction of the cockpit. Cas sighed and leaned against the wall, and Luke took a few steps her way.

"I probably sounded paranoid."

"You didn't." She raised a brow at him, but he didn't back down.
"You just sounded like someone who cares about what happens to people. Han cares too, he just doesn't want people to see it, I think."