xi. setting the trap

⋆☆* ✧✰.✦

C-3PO HAD BEEN MISSING FOR THREE HOURS. Chewbacca voiced his concerns to Cas shortly after their arrival at Lando's headquarters and the pair had spent nearly all of their time thus far searching for the protocol droid. Surely if everything really were fine they would have heard something by then, but it seemed he just disappeared into thin air—which was far from likely.

The disappearance of their droid was added to the ever-growing list of the things on Bespin that didn't sit right with Cas. She was used to searching long and hard for the worst case scenario—hell, it had been her job for years—but in this instance she didn't have to go searching very far. Her instinct said it had to do with the Empire, it would sure as hell be their luck.

As Chewbacca continued the search alone, Cas headed over to the suite Lando so graciously let them use until the Falcon was repaired. As always, she felt the need to be by Leia's side in case something were to happen, and for once Leia didn't protest. There were no "you should rest, I'll be fine"s from the princess that afternoon, nor were there any "you worry too much"s. Instead Leia gave her a nod and continued to pace.

Han came in after a while and Cas strolled over to the window, focusing on the view and letting herself get lost in thought, mostly as to avoid overhearing their intimate conversation. Only when the door hissed open did she turn her head, and in came Chewbacca carrying a case of parts—golden protocol droid parts, to be precise.

"You found him," she murmured, the sight of the dismantled droid filling her with even more unease.

"What happened?!" asked Leia, rushing over to the box as the Wookiee set it down on the caf table. He gave a brief explanation.

"A junk pile?" Han repeated, also staring down at the parts.

"How the hell did he wind up there?" asked Cas, and Chewie shrugged. She and Leia exchanged a wary look before turning back to the box.

"Oh, what a mess," sighed the princess.
"Chewie, do you think you can repair him?" Chewbacca took a moment to study the parts, then explained that he could at least try. It wasn't much, but it was something.

"I don't like this," murmured the captain.
"I really don't like this."

"Relax, will ya?" tried Han, but even he didn't sound relaxed. His walls were cracking.
"Ya know, Lando's got people who can fix him."

"No thanks," Leia muttered, and Cas opened her mouth to agree, but was silenced as the door hissed open yet again, this time revealing the very man they were just talking about. He read the room and his smile faltered, but he stepped inside anyway.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting anything?" he asked, addressing them all.

"Yes," said Cas bluntly, but her words were (mostly) covered up by Leia's.

"Not really." Always diplomatic, Cas thought. Perhaps it was for the best seeing as Lando could potentially hold their lives in his hands. They were taking a great risk trusting him, perhaps greater than any of them thought.

Lando kept his attention on Leia, his smile broadening again. He entered the room fully, standing before her.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he complimented smoothly, and Cas felt her patience wearing thin. She looked to Han, who appeared to be in the same boat—but for different reasons, of course.
"You truly belong with us here among the clouds."