xii. the narrow escape

⋆☆* ✧✰.✦

THEY HAD ENCASED HAN IN CARBONITE. A shiver went down Cas's spine as she stared at the metallic structure and she flinched as it slammed to the ground. Her grip around Leia tightened ever so slightly as the woman sniffled. The room was tensely silent as everyone awaited the news of whether Han had survived or not, for they all cared for different reasons. Leia loved him; Cas and Chewie—and yes, Lando too—considered him a friend; Vader merely want to know if it worked so he could do the same to Luke; and the bounty hunter Boba Fett desperately wanted to know how he'd be receiving his pay. Cas—who had been given countless reasons to despise the Empire during the past standard day alone—was overcome with fury. Rubbing the side of Leia's arm soothingly, she glared at the Sith Lord.

"Well, Calrissian?" he began, turning to the man in question.
"Did he survive?" Lando approached the carbonite structure that contained Han and gave the side panel a once-over. He stood again, looking to Vader.

"Yes. He's alive, and in perfect hibernation." Cas felt Leia relax in her arms and released her. Vader officially turned Han over to Boba Fett, then told the facility's staff to reset the chamber. Then, as if on cue, an Imperial officer gave a report that knocked the wind out of Cas.

"Skywalker has just landed, my lord," he reported, and she felt as if she couldn't breathe for a moment. Up until then she had still maintained the faintest amount of hope that Luke wouldn't come. He was walking into a trap and there wasn't a damned thing she could do about it.

"Good," said Vader.
"See to it that he finds his way here." He turned to address Lando once more.
"Calrissian, take the others to my ship." Her mind momentarily off Luke's peril, Cas's gaze snapped to Lando. He looked about as blindsided as she felt, and she had yet to figure out whether she'd expected that or not.

"You said they'd be left in the city under my supervision!" he protested, which was a dangerous move Cas almost admired—almost.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further." And that was the end of it. Lando led the way, a half a dozen Stormtroopers following him out with Cas, Chewbacca, and Leia sandwiched between them. Two troopers held onto each captive, which was a smart idea, really, seeing as Cas would have made a move if she had the ability. She was impatient, irritated, and furious—a dangerous combination of emotions for Cassia Tarin, not to mention anyone who decided to cross her.

They were led in what appeared to be a circle, and Cas knew why, especially as she heard not-too-distant blasterfire. Minutes later they encountered Luke, some troopers providing cover fire as the others ushered the captives through the very same hall they had just left. Cas craned her neck and, by sheer luck, caught Luke's gaze. Her breath caught in her chest, and not just because she was scared for him. She had missed him, and seeing him again after everything that had happened...

They locked gazes, providing the smallest of moments of calm amongst the chaos. Leia was screaming that it was a trap; they were being dragged away; blasterfire was being exchanged. Finally, the pair was forced to break eye contact, and while Cas hoped like hell Luke would get the message, something within told her he'd follow them and fall into the trap. The way he had looked at her with such concern, she knew he had heard her scream or felt her suffer or maybe even both, and after that there was no way he'd listen to logic. Vader, as it turned out, had been right about one thing: Luke really did care for her, just as she cared for him, and he wasn't about to walk away when he thought he had a chance to save her.