Chapter Fifteen

Colt gave me a minute to compose myself before posing a final question. "What do you want to do?"

"I want to fight and I want to protect what little family I have left."

"Does that mean you'll stay?" He smiled hopefully.

"I don't know. I don't want to put a target on your backs and I have to find my brother."

"We already have our targets. I got mine when I was linked to the E.A.D, same for Leo when they connected him to Liberty and the others became involved the moment they met Leo, even if they didn't know it. You aren't responsible for every bad thing that happens in the world, and believe it or not, Ty and the others can look after themselves, so for once stop worrying about everyone else, do what's best for you."

"Even if that means I have to leave you guys to find my brother?"

Colt's sigh was audible as his smile faded. "It's been nice knowing you, and I really hope our paths cross again."

I grinned at him. "I don't know why you're saying goodbye, you sap, you're stuck with me now. I know my brother, he can look after himself, I’ll find him again, I know I will, but right now you guys need me more. No more running."

Colt looked slightly confused and astonished as he took a step back from me. "I'm sorry. What do you mean? I thought you were, you know, going. That's why I said all that stuff. Why didn't you stop me?"

"You were being so sweet I didn't want to ruin the moment, but yeah, I'm sticking around, it's time I stopped running and started fighting not only for what I believe, but with the people I believe in, it’s what Sean would tell me to do." 

He looked at me with a relieved and thankful smile, my eyes drawn to his as I looked up at him. Then the next thing I knew his lips were pressed against mine, forcing me to pull away.

"I am so sorry. I don't know what that was. Why did I do that?" Colt profusely apologised, his cheeks bright red. 

"It's okay, shit happens. Can we just move past it?"

"Um, yeah, of course. I don't know what came over me."

"It was just a spur-of-the-moment thing, wasn't it? I mean, it's not like you like me or anything, we barely know each other."

"Yeah, no, of course not. I mean you're you. It's not like you're an actual girl or anything, so I don't know why I'd kiss you like that." He backtracked, his douchey nature prevailing once again.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I didn't mean to be offensive, but you're you, girly isn't really your style, you're more like one of the guys, you know, you can handle yourself, make jokes, you don't get all offended or jealous when something happens, like most girls would, and then there's all the techy stuff, like the traps, or your hoverboard, most girls would be terrified of breaking a nail, let alone their neck." He explained.

I shook my head. "Thanks. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me."

Colt just gave me a vacant stare.

"You know what? Forget about it, let's just rejoin the others."

"What did I say? Did I say something wrong?" Colt called after me as I walked away from him. "Come on Cae, don't be like that. It was just a kiss."

I continued to ignore him as I joined the others back in the kitchen.

"Look who decided to stick around. That's a first for you isn't it?" Ty remarked as I entered.