Chapter Twenty-Five

I double checked that Drew was out cold before heading out the door and down the corridor until I reached the flight of stairs that led to the offices on the next floor. The lack of security didn't surprise me, even if Delilah did anticipate me escaping Drew's custody, in her mind it was already too late, she'd won and it would be she would be asking her people to commit suicide if she'd stationed them in the building, apparently she wasn't that heartless, but that didn't change much, she still had her hubris, which I was about to use against her.

I still kept my eyes peeled, just in case I was wrong about security, but as I approached the door to the office, I realised it really was just the two of us now that I'd taken care of her treacherous boy toy. I didn't even display any caution as I entered the room and there was no surprise on Delilah's face as she looked up from the device she was tinkering with at her father's desk. The bomb, to be more exact. "I was just about to come and get you, Drew, as well. You didn't kill him, did you? I happen to be quite fond of him."

"Funny, he didn't say the same about you, and no, he's not dead, just taking a nap."

"I suppose you came up here to try and stop me." She sighed.

"By whatever means. There are too many lives on the line for me to not consider compromising my values, though I'd rather solve this amicably and without any bloodshed, if at all possible."

"You're unarmed. What threat could you possibly pose to me?"

"We both know I don't need a weapon to inflict damage, and we both know you aren't going to kill yourself in the blast. You're not the martyr type, so just give me the virus. As we speak, Jeremiah and the others are rounding up your associates. You've lost, so be smart about this. Just give me the virus. Nobody needs to die. You made your point. You win. You're better than me."

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought you'd have learned by now, I'm not a quitter, Cae. When I start something, I see it through to the end, and the only way you're going to stop me is by killing me. I don't care if my brother and his rag-tag group of misfits have collared my associates. It's just you and me here." 

“I guess I’m going to have to do this the hard way, then.” I couldn’t help rolling my eyes as I’d genuinely hoped it wouldn’t escalate this far and the effects of the drugs in my system still hadn’t worn off. 

My eyes slowly scanned the room, drifting as they came to a stop on the device. There was no vial contained within it, even though there was a compartment built for its installation, which meant Delilah didn’t have it. 

“They hadn’t finished modifying the virus at the lab, had they? You were just trying to buy time until one of your lackeys could get the finished product for you. I woke up too early, didn’t I? Even if that was the case, you’d never let me know. It’s why you weren’t surprised to see me. You were simply trying to mask your frustration.”

Delilah slowly applauded me. “I see you’ve gotten better at reading the room and applying your observations, honestly I always thought you were too naïve to ever really learn. That is why you always push people away, isn’t it? You don’t actually know who you can trust.”

“Once upon a time that might’ve been true, but Drew stabbing me in the back forced me to take a good look at things. I know who my friends are and I know I can count on them no matter what.”

“Then why aren’t they here fighting by your side? What are they really without you? They don’t get you, and why would they? You aren't like them. You’re just another tool in someone's arsenal and as soon as you outlive your usefulness, you’ll see just how quickly they turn.”