Chapter Eighteen

I could see Reach getting ready for an argument, but it was put to bed before it even began when Linc and Ava came running in. I put my tools down and turned to face them.

“What’s going on?” Reach and I both said in unison.

“Whatever it is, it's not your problem, Caelyn.” Reach snapped like a juvenile child.

“Actually, she’s the one we came to talk to.” Ava awkwardly corrected him.

“I guess it is my problem, after all.”

“I’m not sure what this is, but can we put it on hold for a second?” Ava impatiently scowled.

“Just tell Cae what’s going on, that’ll probably get her to focus on what’s important.” Linc suggested.

“We just got a radio transmission from your old friend Delilah, she wants to talk to you.” Ava informed me and I could feel the shift in atmosphere.

“Don’t you dare.” Reach tried to stop me but I slipped past just in time, switching my board on and dropping it on the floor before using it to speed away.

As I approached the marquee where my gear had been held, I spotted an anxious-looking Ty.

“What’s going on?”

“I don’t know, these pricks won’t let me anywhere near it, this is as close as I can get. A couple guys came to get Colt, and I followed them here, but they won’t tell me why they took him.”

“Apparently Delilah is on the radio, she’s found the camp's frequency and wants to talk to me. Your brother and Ava just came to get me to let me know.”

“This can’t be good.”

“No, it cannot.” I grabbed Ty by the hand and dragged him through the gathered crowd. Somebody tried to stop me as I approached the entrance to the marquee, but I offered him a cold glare. “Ava sent me, I’m Caelyn and if you don’t move in the next five seconds so I can join Colt in there, somebody is going to get hurt; it won’t be me.”

“Trust me when I say you don’t want to get on her bad side, it’s been a long day, and she is very serious.” Ty concurred. 

“Fine, but he stays out here.” The grunt compromised.

“No, he doesn’t. He’s one of my people, which means if I say he’s with me, you don’t argue.”

The grunt went to complain, but I cut him off first. “Five… Four… Three… Two…” He stepped aside before I could get to one, letting both of us pass through.

Colt smiled at the sight of us. “How’d you get in here?” He asked as he turned to Ty.

“It would appear that Cae is more persuasive than we knew.” He replied.

“Simple psychology. Nobody argues with a countdown when dealing with someone with a reputation like mine. Now, care to explain what the hell is going on? How’d Delilah find us and why did they come to get you?”

Before Colt could answer another voice crackled through the radio. “We know you’re there Cae. Colt too, so I suggest you pick up, I wouldn't want to have to do something you’ll live to regret.” This wasn’t Delilah, this was Ratchet.

“E.A.D and Elites working together, I’m not sure if I should be terrified or flattered.”

“This isn’t something to joke about, you know what both factions are capable of and if they know the camp is here, it’s only a matter of time before we put everyone here in danger.” Colt snapped.