Cha. 001

The youngest master of the Wang's household jolted awake on his bed at the sound of screams and garish cries, followed by the clanging sounds of swords and other weapons, his eyes expanded at the flaming sight outside his door while the temperature of his chambers went higher and higher but the lad remained on the mattress, unable to move as he stared down at his bandaged leg.

If he had known something like this would happen, he would have never gotten himself injured to the point he couldn't stand on his feet.

The screams and cries continued from outside his chambers, it was as if he was left forgotten. "Papa, mama!" He called softly, whimpering at the rising heat around him, sweats trickling down his forehead while he held back his tears. He was going to die without telling his mama, papa, and sister how much he loved them.

As if hearing his silent pleads, the door to his chambers finally bust opened, slamming hard on the floor as it was torn down and a figure emerged from the fire. The young lad beamed at the person.

WANG DAIYU.

"Jie!" He cried out, watching his elder sister rush towards him, putting down the wet cloth that covered her face, she immediately wrapped it around his nose while she tried not to inhale too much of the suffocating smoke.

"Sister is here to get you out from here!" She told him and the lad happily nodded his head. She pulled him into her arms, luckily he was light as a feather and small that she had no problem carrying him.

The young Wang buried his face in the crook of his sister's neck as they flee his room, jumping across the catching fire, passing the numerous dead bodies that lay there aimlessly, he recognized almost all of them.

"Don't look!" His sister's unwavering voice instructed, making him flinch and immediately tearing his gaze away from the corpses as he shut his eyes.

The fear-filled lad didn't open his eyes till the heat vanished and a cold breeze brushed against his cheeks, followed by the cries of his parents.

"Wang Yibo!"

The lad instantly opened his eyes and he found himself staring at his parents. "Mama, papa!" He cried out, instantly being picked by his mother as he held him tightly in her warm embrace. "I thought I lost you!" She cried, eyes glued to the burning house in front of her, the place that held a lot of memories that could never be replaced.

"We need to start moving before the imperial soldiers catch up on us!" His father chipped in, his face filled with cut marks while hanging low in his hand was a sword soaked with blood.

His mother nodded. "Come on!" She said and together, they ran through the chaos of the city, their home, towards the gate that would bring their gate but the hope was short-lived when a horde of soldiers crashed into them, blocking their exit, his father didn't hesitate to swing his sword that anyone that approached them, clearing his path for the family he loved dearly.

"Go!" He shouted at them, the soldiers gathering around him. "Get out of here, I will hold them off and come find you!" The man yelled.

The woman was almost frozen at where she stood before the voice of her beloved husband pulled her out from her trance as she and her children raced out from the gate but a few distances later, they heard that fallen cry that made them turn back and watch the scene unfold.

"Xiang!" The woman screamed with horror, watching a sword pierce through the heart of her husband. She screamed louder, legs already aiming to run back but her daughter caught her arm and pulled them deeper into the forest.

As they went further and further, Wang Yibo didn't tear his gaze from his father who slowly fell to the ground and gave up his ghost, eyes staring into nothing while blood pooled around his dead form, the young lad didn't try to look away till the scene was out of sight and he finally shut his eyes.