Cha. 004

12 years ago, four clans occupying an imperial territory, Shi, Nie, Fang, and Xie clan betrayed the empire by plotting against the emperor, causing a revolt between them and the empire, and like dust, they were wiped out from the surface of the world, the four clans were no more for they had paid for betraying the empire…

He listened to the words of the storyteller without interest, picking up his cup from the table, bringing it to his lips, taking a sip, and letting the warm liquid spread on his tongue while rounds of claps crammed the space. Placing the tiny cup down, his eyes adverted towards the door, watching the droplets of water from the sky, creating a rhythmic tapping sound on the roof and ground.

Slipping his hand into his attire he took out a silver tael, placing it on the table. He picked up his umbrella and an open hair bamboo hat, placing it on top of his head, he stood and headed towards the exit, unclogging his umbrella, and he walked into the pouring rain.

He strolled down the deserted street, having fewer to no people sauntering under their umbrellas. He peered ahead without sparing a glance, destination in mind, however abruptly stopping in his tracks in the middle of the street.

He inhaled the fragrance of the rain, listening to the continuous pitter-pattering sound, bringing an oddly soothing feeling down his spine, it felt good, he wished he could remain there but then again, when did his wishes ever come true.

He resumed his journey, getting closer and closer to his destination and when he reached, he ambled in through the widely opened gate with a board sign at the front, clearing stating "Red Jade"

He headed towards the front house, spotting a woman in red, patiently waiting under the roof, equally watching him as he took shelter, clogging his umbrella and taking off his bamboo hat, he reeled to her, ducking his head respectfully and saluting.  "Miss Qing"

"It's past curfew" she stated, staring at him closely,

He remained saluting. "I'm willing to accept punishment"

"It's not about the punishment, it's that you learn from your mistake and never repeat it!" She scolded, keeping her tone blank. She waved her hand dismissively and he straightened his posture, his blank raven eyes meeting her less warm ones.

"I know" he answered. "The storyteller took long to arrive today"

She hissed. "Why do you like those tales anyway, those storytellers say anything to make money. A bunch of liars!"

Yes! They did nothing but fabricate!

"I will let it slide today, it won't be taken lightly if it's repeated. Return to your chambers!" She dismissed and once again, he ducked his head before reeling on his heels, heading towards his quarters, ignoring the eyes that trailed behind him.

Miss Qing's gaze averted to his ear, "12 years passed, it has never glowed again" she mumbled under her breath, watching his back moving further and further away from her till only the echoing sound of his boots reached her ears.

***********

Pushing the doors of his chambers, he waddled in, placing his umbrella and bamboo hat at the corner.

"Look who it is"

He lifted his gaze, finding his best friend standing before him with arms bridged over his chest, an unamused expression etched on his face.  "Isn't it the wonderful Wang Yibo"

Wang Yibo rolled his eyes, heading towards his little bed in the corner, he placed himself on the mattress, silently taking off his black boots.

Nie Huasiang scoffed, "Ignoring my presence are we?"

Wang Yibo finally cast his gaze on his friend. His eyes holding nothing, his expression equally having nothing to give away, he placed his elbows on his knees, leaning his body forward, "We are not eight anymore"

Again, Huasiang scoffed. "Thanks for the reminder, as if I didn't know that already!"

"What do you want?"

Instantly, Huasiang brightened like the sun, rushing to sit beside his best friend, throwing his arm over his shoulder. "There's a festival taking place at the palace tonight…"

Wang Yibo immediately chipped in. "Forget it, I'm not going!" He shoved the other person away, laying down on the mattress supporting his hands under his head as he gazed up at the ceiling.

Huasiang pouted. "Come on, it will be fun, Xiao Xing Chen and Wang Zuocheng agreed to join us"

Wang Yibo's gaze flickered back to Huasiang, scanning him from head to toe. Their clothes were similar, yet different in color, a hakama skirt that flowed to their ankle. A silken crisp shirt that cut diagonally across his chest with banded wrists. Huasiang's was a bright yellow while Wang Yibo's was a dark navy blue and lastly, their hair, never for once let to be outgrown since the day it was cut off.

"Are you going to let me have a moment of peace if I don't go with you?"Wang Yibo grilled in a worn tone and Huasiang shook his head.

"Nope. How can I go somewhere and you're not with me. Come on, we barely leave Red Jade, it's getting so dull around here"

It had always been lugubrious.

Wang Yibo sough, peering back at the ceiling. "We will be gone in two months, Huasiang. You can do whatever you want then"

Huasiang tsked, leaning forward and taking hold of Wang Yibo's wrist, pulling him up to a sitting position. "You can't say no to me, you know how persistent I get"

Wang Yibo couldn't agree more. He couldn't recall the last time he said no to the other male. "Fine!" He yanked his hand from Huasiang's grip. "If we get caught, it's on you!"

Huasiang squealed in rejoice. "Believe me my dear best compadre, we will never get caught with my fantabulous plan. Sneaking out of here is easy, I do it all the time with the others" he patted his chest proudly. "Anyway, how was the storytelling, why do you always go there to listen to those mind-numbing, outdated tales anyway, nothing is immersing about them. Last time you took me there, I passed out from boredom" he hissed, shaking his head disappointedly, he slipped his hand into his robe and removed a book, throwing it at Wang Yibo's face. "You should read those from on now, the lack of amour in your life is devitalizing"

Wang Yibo grabbed the book, flipped through the pages, and his eyes magnified at the exotic drawings and paintings. He hurled the book on the floor as if it singed him, he rest back on the bed and twirled his back to the other male.

Huasiang cackled, playfully poking the other on the cheek. "You rarely blush and when you do, you look so frail and adorable" he teased.

"Boring"

Huasiang grimaced, standing up. "I despise that word because of you, get yourself prepared, we leave when everyone is dozing or should I say comatose" he grinned widely before matching out of the chambers.

Wang Yibo slowly swiveled, gawking up at the ceiling. Why did he always go pursuing those storytellers?

"It's soothing, even though they are all lies!"

No one understood and he didn't expect them to.

To be continued…!

*~*

Sorry if it's slow, better chapters ahead!

❤️