Under the Confession Tree || Young!Remus Lupin

"If it isn't too much trouble, can you meet me under that old oak tree on the outskirts of school? There's something I want to ask you...privately."

Remus isn't quite sure where he should stand. Originally, he had hovered in the open, passing time by kicking crunchy leaves into sloppy piles before deciding to sit on one of the low hanging branches instead, however, even that position proved to be unstable as he continued to fidget with his hands. He now stands straight with his back pressed against the tree's trunk, bouncing his body off the sharp bark in a poor attempt of smoothing his anxiety.

Are you even coming? You're taking an awfully long time to arrive. Maybe you've forgotten or perhaps this was all just some prank and you're currently laughing with your housemates in the common room- No, you're far too kind for that. Remus knows you. He knows you would never be as cruel as to prank him in such a way. You're normally very punctual especially when it comes to someone else's time, so you must be caught up in potions class. You'll be here soon, no doubt.

A shaky breath leaves the young Gryffindor's mouth as he moves to play with his scarf, wrapping it tighter around himself despite not actually being cold. In a moment like this, he finds himself deprived of his friends support which is silly considering how much they've talked him up throughout the day. James and Sirius had even been willingly to skip Quidditch practice for Remus's sake, but he's determined to be brave enough to face you on his own for once. Besides, he's certain you don't want his friends around.

This morning you had managed to catch him just as he was leaving breakfast. Where you normally greet him with a smile and excited wave, you seemed rather awkward, doing most of the talking while tugging at your sleeves and refusing to meet his eyes. The only time you looked up was to glance at the other Marauders who hung nearby like hawks watching mice. That's when you threw in the word 'privately' much to Remus's concern.

You like his friends, at least, he's never been led to think otherwise. You laugh at their many shenanigans, join them for lunch whenever they call you over, and happily allow them to invite themselves to your study group with Remus. Never before have you complained or so much as frowned at their existence, which means if you need to talk to Remus alone, there must be something you don't want them to know; perhaps something they might not like to hear?

Funny enough, the boys weren't anywhere near as concerned as Remus when bidding you farewell with the promise of seeing each other later. Quite the contrary, actually. Immediately upon spilling out of the Great Hall, Sirius had thrown an arm over his buddy's shoulder, loudly congratulating him on his 'score' while the others agreed with further praises. Needless to say, Remus had been rather confused until James filled him in.

"Come on, mate. You're meeting under 'the old oak tree'. Doesn't that ring a bell? That's the place where students first confess their love to each other. Something about the forest bringing good fortune to young couples and all that."

Confess? As in a love confession? Remus had turned as bright as his house's quidditch uniforms at such a thought. It isn't as if he could justly deny his own affections towards you. He loves your brilliances, sense of humor, and ever so caring personality (not to mention you're rather attractive), but could he really be lucky enough to have someone so amazing love him back? Well, his friends are convinced he has a shot.

Not meeting with you was never a choice. He's already agreed to it and the marauders refused to let him miss out on the opportunity. For the rest of the day, they prepped him on how to handle the meeting with various tips, bruising pats on the back, and even offers of roleplaying which an embarrassed Remus absolutely refused to take part in.

Over time, he soon found himself believing in their 'theory', realizing you must be confessing your love to him. It does make sense.

You were an awkward, blushing mess when speaking to him and you just so happened to ask him to an area apparently known for love confessions; privately, nonetheless. You must be preparing to tell him your feelings and if all of his friends' help plays out well, he'll be prepared to look you in the eyes and announce such feelings are requited before sharing a kiss he's only ever dreamed about. It'll be perfect...won't it?