five.

The evenings of the lab are always my favorite. Brenner stops experimenting, the children stop screaming, and the night crew is cleaning and bustling through the halls. The only noises heard are mops being pushed and vacuums far down the hall. It's a comforting feeling, a warm and welcoming one. It's about the best time you will get in this place. There is an analog clock on the wall, protected with metal bars so I could never break the glass and hurt myself. It is about 7 o'clock when something slips through the doggie door-like opening in my door. A very used and worn book lies at my feet. I pick it up and begin inspecting it. The words on the cover are faded and tough to make out, but I still conclude the title: Pride and Prejudice. The paperback was floppy and tired, the pages yellowed and highlighter throughout it. Underlined pen strokes, circled quotes, and notes in the margins. I flip to the front page, and I find a small note in the bottom corner.

"Angry people are not always wise."  - H

He means Brenner. But, why does he have his well-read book at the facility? Does he live here? I have so many questions. But it all fades into the background when I realize that he remembered my love for books. He gave me one of his favorites because he knows I would enjoy it. He thought of me, he gave it to me.

I go to bed happier than I've been in years. I feel hope; and regardless of what he says, he is my hope. I dream of his face, I dream of loving him, I dream of him being mine.

I wake up early and go to the bathroom and wash my face. I shower and braid my hair neatly to make it prettier when I take them out. I use Vaseline to make my lips glossy and use my fingers to curl my eyelashes. I can make myself look pretty with the lack of resources here, but it takes a bit more effort. At 10, Henry knocks and waits for me to answer him. I purposely bury my face in his book as I say, "Come in!" He opens the door and stares at me, I put the book down and he stares at the cover and smiles. I stand up and we head off to the room like yesterday. He places his hand on my upper back again and as we walk, he whispers into my ear, "I see you got my present." I smile, and I look up at him. "Yes, thank you. I just started reading it this morning, it's the best book I have I think." He meets my eyes and says, "It's a great book. It's gotten me through a lot of time, and I've read it dozens of times." I say, "I will make sure to read it quickly and give it back to you. Thank you for letting me read it." His expression changes and he quickly answers, "No, no, no. You keep it. I've read it over and over and it's time you get it. You need it more than I do." I smile kindly, and we walk to the room.

We sit down in our designated chairs, and he clears his throat. "So, today I thought maybe we could test a theory I had. You can always say no, I want to make that clear, but I am just curious." I nod, "Tell me what you want to do, Henry. I trust you." "Okay," he says, "every single patient I've worked with in the children's unit has had unique powers, but they all have one in common." I nod, "Okay, so what is it?" He looks me deep in the eyes and says, "Telekinesis."