thirteen.

I wake up alone, holding a pillow in my arms and a note beside me. I'll see you later. Rest up for me, find your energy. Feel it and don't let go. - H

I wish I could live a normal life with the man I love, but this is how it has to be. I spend my day reading in bed, trying to conserve my energy. Later in the day, Henry stops in and tells me about Brenner's stable but lack of improvement in condition. I feel mixed emotions about it, because he has not only hurt me, but he has hurt Henry. I don't want to let him out of there, I don't want him to feel peace or have power over us. Henry holds me in his arms and I say, "What will happen if I refuse to cooperate? If I don't let him out?" He chuckles, but his eyes are serious. "Y/N, you know what will happen. They will destroy you. They'll never let you go in peace." I know he's right, but I just wanted to dream for a second. "I just feel so.. tense. I don't want all of this to be on me." He nods, and he holds me tighter. He kisses me and runs his hands down my body and it feels so nice to be embraced by him. All of the pressure leaves my body as his hands knit with mine, and his lips kiss my neck. He feels electric and heavy breaths leave my lips because it feels like heaven. I haven't felt this way before about anyone. There is no pain, there is no betrayal, there is no heartache when I am with him. I love him. Suddenly, a quick knock sounds on the door. My eyes widen and Henry quickly gets off of the bed and sits on the edge, far away from me. I fix my hair and straighten my shirt while I let out a soft, "Come in." Henry has his notepad out quickly, jotting down fake notes about my 'condition'. The door opens and another man in a business suit speaks directly to Henry, completely ignoring my existence. "We are ready for 022. Her condition should be stable and her energy high enough to complete this task. Do you think she is able to?" Henry looks at me with sympathetic eyes, and I nod. I have no interest in doing this, but if it will get these weird suited men to quit barging into my room while I'm with the man I secretly love, sure thing. I stand up and put on my shoes, the man waiting impatiently and Henry putting his notes back into his pocket. As we go out into the hall, the man leads the way and Henry walks with me. just as usual, he places his hand on my back and talks me through how I should approach the situation and that he will be there with me the whole time. If he wasn't here, I wouldn't do this. I would let them kill me rather than reason with the man that I hate the most. But I need to live, I need him and he needs me. As we approach the room, a large group of suited men, orderlies, and nurses swarm the area. In the middle of the room is a small, muted Brenner with tubes in his arms and nose and a hospital gown on his less-intimidating, frail frame. He actually manages to look somewhat innocent, and you would never think he could be capable of the things that he does each day. As I approach him, people begin to whisper. Actually, they just talk. They treat me as if I am not there, just a ghost of a person who cannot hear their snide remarks. I am the crazy girl, I am the nutcase, I am broken. A nurse ushers all of the people out of the room and closes the curtain on the door, leaving only her, Henry, and I surrounding Brenner. I take a deep breath and come in closer, taking Brenner's hand. I close my eyes and begin to see what he does, the emotions he feels. He is trapped in the emotions I made him feel, a swirl of anger, heartbreak, and pain. My eyebrows knit together as I try to undo all of the feeling layered on top of each other, but it takes time and effort. As I break down one wall, another one is in the distance. I feel my nose bleeding, but an outside force quickly dabs it away. I feel the pressure ease within him as I work, slowly making it easier for him to come to the surface and break through. The swirl of emotions is nearly gone, exiting its way from his mind. Before he wakes up from his state, I leave him with a string of words to remember: I put you here, and I can put you back without a second thought. He needs to know that this is not a situation that makes me a pawn or a lab rat, and it never will be. I let go of his hand and am back in the present with a small gasp. After a few seconds, Brenner's heart rate goes up and he begins to wake up. Henry wipes my nose again and puts his hand on my back. As the nurse adjusts his IV, he whispers into my ear. "I'm proud of you, and he can't hurt us. We are untouchable." I know that he's right, nothing can break us. Brenner's eyes open and he lets out a cough. His breathing is heavy and intense, his voice is hoarse and rough as he says, "022, to your room now." As he points at me slowly, he then points to Henry. "You too, escort her and return to your activities. You both need to be out of here and away from me." We quickly pace out of the room, the group of people becoming more hostile in the hall. People begin speaking their thoughts out loud, Is he awake? Did that girl get him out of his coma? Did she not help? Henry and I get away from them, walking back to my room with his hand on my back. I'm not sure what our future holds here, but I know that I feel safe with him holding me.