Chapter One: Henry Creel

Dear Diary,
I'll always regret this day going forward. The day I met him...

Nellie Brown woke to the sound of a car pulling up at the house that was located opposite her own, causing her to let out a soft groan of annoyance. Her mother had spoken about their new neighbours that were soon to be moving in beforehand, always saying how she hoped they were going to be easy to get on with, unlike the other family that had lived there previously. In the house before this mysterious new family had been an old couple called Gloria and Steven who had moved away to live with their son in Carmel after the husband had fallen ill. It was harsh to say but Nellie had been thankful to get rid of them, they'd always complain about little things she did even if it just meant sitting in her own front garden.

Out of curiosity Nellie stood up from her bed and walked over to her windowsill, looking out at the house opposite. It was an extraordinary house, with a very huge garden and lots of trees and verdant greenery surrounding it, not to mention the size of the house itself. She had to admit that it was far nicer than her own home but it was the sort of house you'd find in one of those books. One that held many hidden secrets, like secret passages and ghosts.

She laughed at the thought until a peculiar looking boy with blonde hair looked up at her window and spotted her. She ducked down faster than ever, hoping he hadn't seen her but it seemed unlikely because when she'd tried to take a quick peek to see if they had gone he was still staring.

"Nellie Dear!" She heard her mother call her from the stairs. "Breakfast is on the table I won't tell you again!"

Nellie sighed but headed down the stairs and took a seat beside her younger sister at the table. "Mother, Father, the new neighbours have moved in did you know?" she asked them whilst pouring the cereal into her own bowl along with her sisters.

"Yes, I am aware." She nodded with a small smile. "Your father is rather busy today but I thought you and I along with Felicity could go and pay them a warm welcome."

"A welcome?" She questioned but did as her mother had said because she hated to get her parents angry, especially her father. Her father wasn't necessarily cruel, just not someone you wanted to get on the wrong side of. Much like herself.

After breakfast the three of them headed out of the house and crossed the silent street. It was never really lively near where they lived as not many people were around the neighbourhood in the daylight, often out on their bikes or visiting relatives. Whilst walking her mother adjusted her hair, as if it was going to make much difference to her first impression but in all honesty, it wouldn't.

"I still can't understand why would they move here in the middle of the term you'd expect it to be at the beginning of the term," Nellie mumbled out loud, her mother throwing her an annoyed look.

"Quiet Nellie. We don't want to make the wrong impression by being rude and it is highly none of our business." She said whilst furrowing her brows and knocking on the door, which unlocked immediately.

A boy soon answered the door, the same boy she had seen not long ago out of her window. He looked at her curiously and then raised his brow at the other two people beside her. He had sea-blue eyes and dark blonde hair that was slicked to the side. He just stared at them and said nothing.

The silence was so uncomfortable that Nellie couldn't take it anymore and so she looked at her mother to see if she was going to say anything. Meanwhile, Felicity just hid behind their mother. She'd always been shy and hardly ever said a word.

"Hello, are your parents in? We wanted to welcome you and your family to the neighbourhood as we live just opposite." She said, holding out the platter that had brownies on it.

Again the boy said nothing and just stared at Nellie, his blue eyes piercing daggers into hers.

"Um, I'm Nellie. Nellie Brown and this is my sister Felicity." She said nervously. What was wrong with this boy? He had no emotion whatsoever.

"Henry Creel." He replied. So he did speak. "My parents are home but they don't allow visitors so I can just take those." He said, holding out his hand.

Nellie and her mother looked at each other sceptically and with a look of conflict. Surely, they would allow them to come in if they'd made them something right? No one was that ignorant.

"Henry! Who is at the door?" A voice called from behind the boy, a man appearing from beside them. "Oh, hello you must be our neighbours! I'm Victor. Can I help you with something?" He asked.

"Hello, Victor." Nellie's mother smiled and then introduced herself. "I'm Ida and these are my daughters Nellie and Felicity. We just wanted to visit you and welcome you to the neighbourhood." She told him, handing over the brownies.

Victor smiled and took the brownies. "That's very kind of you. Would you like to come in?"

Nellie looked shocked and so did her mother. Not only a minute ago had this young boy before them said that his father didn't allow visitors and now here he was greeting them and welcoming them into his home. However once Ida had headed on in so did the two young girls. It was a lovely home and very well decorated. Though the thing that stood out most was an old grandfather clock that stood in the hallway untouched in front of the staircase. It was just like living in a fairytale, almost like a dream.

Victor placed the brownies on the front table in the living room and turned to Henry who was yet again standing staring but this time it was at the clock. "My boy why don't you give Nellie a tour whilst we get to know her mother."

Henry snapped out of his gaze and smiled widely, "of course father." He spoke as if he was fine with it but his expression said otherwise. "Follow me then. I'll show you around."

Nellie eyed her mother uncomfortably but she just smiled and followed Victor and his wife into the other room, leaving her standing there like a fool.

"Come on then." The young boy said, leading her up the stairs and towards what seemed like his bedroom.

Living here felt like a luxury to Nellie but to Henry, it seemed to be the worst thing possible. He looked as though all happiness had been drained out of him, as if light became dim wherever he stood.

Nellie followed him up the stairs, her eyes exchanging small glances with the boy every now and again. He was so strange, so mysterious. Who was he? Where had he come from? Why did he act this way? She'd soon find out, now making it her mission to find out all about him but that definitely wasn't going to be easy. Everyone held deep secrets. Even her.