Chapter Thirteen: Lover's Lake

As the sun set and darkness began to form its shadow over Hawkins, the group finally neared Lover's lake. It had felt like they had been searching for hours. One minute it had been pure daylight and the next the sky was pitch black and gloomy. Dustin had been the one to lead everyone to it but for once he'd actually started to lose hope until suddenly the reflection from the moon could be seen as it shone above the water. At that moment everything actually felt normal, safe but they all knew that it wouldn't last for very long, peace wasn't something they ever seemed to get anymore, not since the first time Will had been taken back in the year 1983.

Nellie stepped out from the prickly bushes and looked out to the lake, her eyes widening as a smile formed on her face. "Wow Lover's lake... I used to come here as a kid with my family back when we-" she paused when almost falling straight into the lake, misjudging where it began completely.

Eddie caught her arm just before she went foot first into the water and then awkwardly let go, "watch your step you don't wanna go swimming." He told her.

She looked at him in surprise and then smiled again, "thank you for catching me." She said with a small laugh and patted his shoulder. "Don't look so awkward I don't bite you know."

Eddie was about to say something in response when all of a sudden he was called  over by Steve, "Hey uh Munson, you used a boat to escape those dickheads hunting you down right?" He asked, receiving a nod to confirm what he'd said. "You know where it is?"

He glanced at Nellie again before he then rushed over to a hidden part behind the trees, pulling off a sheet which revealed a small boat and some oars to steer it with. It wasn't anything fancy, the only thing good about it was the engine but even that was battered so wasn't able to be used, then again they were only going about halfway into the lake to see if there was an open gate to Vecna's so it wasn't going to affect much in the short term so none of them could really complain. It could've been a lot worse had they not had a boat handy.

Both Eddie and Steve placed the boat into the water, bickering over the fact that they'd both splashed one another when doing so but everyone else just chose to ignore them and began piling in, starting with Robin. Next Eddie got in and held his hand out for Nellie who smiled and took it, taking a seat beside Robin at the front of the boat.

He then helped Nancy in and pushed Dustin's head, "Hey, Hey, Hey you trying to sink us?" He asked, partly messing with him though. "This thing only holds three people."

Dustin furrowed his brows, "there are 4 people in there!" he protested and then huffed. "How is this fair? It was my goddamn theory!"

Steve just ignored him and also got into the boat, sitting opposite Nancy. "Sorry Mate there's no way I am babysitting again! You kids stay here and remember no wandering off!" He said in a serious tone.

Everyone on the boat laughed as Nellie spoke up, "Wow he really is like their babysitter-" She mumbled causing Steve to glare at her and then look away.

"Hey, doofus you know she's right," Robin said, nudging his arm slight before everyone started to use the oars so that the boat would move.

Nellie sat back and looked at the moon again, why did it have to be so pretty at night? They were in some crisis or whatever you wanted to call hunting down monsters that half the neighbourhood didn't believe existed but seeing that just seemed to put her at ease. That was until the voice came back... the same voice that was like a whisper and the same voice that had been saying her name over and over again. It wasn't the first time she'd heard it though, back when she'd been in the cell at Pennhurst Mental hospital she'd started to believe the guards when they were saying she was insane due to hearing the voice and part of her still wondered if she was mental but then again she wasn't not all there, of course, she didn't have the best mental health but put it this way she wasn't like half of the people she'd met in the hospital.

The small boat sailed across the water until it reached the middle of the lake and all of a sudden the compass started to spiral out of control, signalling that they had got really close in proximity to the gate or so they hoped anyway.

Robin picked up the walkie-talkie and spoke into it, "Uh Dustin your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital aah!" She said but then looked at Steve as he started to take off his shoes and socks.

"Steve what are you doing?" Nellie asked curiously, genuinely confused about why he was doing what he was doing.

Steve looked up and then spoke, "Well someone got to go and check this out," he said. "Unless one of you three can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years. Then it's gotta be me. No complaining alright?."

Eddie raised his brow and then shrugged, "Hey, I'm not complaining. I do not wanna go down there." He said and took out a plastic bag from his pocket, wrapping the torch in it and then giving it to Steve. "Hey, Good luck."

Steve thanked him and then got ready to jump but turned to Nancy first as she told him to be careful. He smiled slightly and nodded at her, then jumped in and began to swim down to the bottom of the lake to see what it was that was down there.

Nellie looked over at Robin but she was too busy knocking a cigarette out of Eddie's hand, claiming that it was 'gross'. She just laughed at them as Eddie's face screwed up and then turned back to Nancy who was looking out anxiously, most likely worried about Steve not making it back to the surface as they counted down the minutes. She was sure he would though.

Under the lake and in the water, Steve started to swim towards a red break in the water bed which looked a lot like the portals that normally opened and went to the upside down but for now, it seemed to be closed but glowing red. However, Steve being Steve decided to touch the gate, moving something but before he could see what it was he started to race back up to the boat, the touch no longer in his hand.

Steve jumped out of the water gasping for air, startling everyone but then started to explain how he'd seen the gate but all of a sudden something had pulled him under the water, pulling on his leg.

Nellie's eyes widened as she looked over the edge but he was suddenly gone. "Where is he!?"

Suddenly the boat erupted into shouting, "Steve!?" they all shouted almost in sync apart from Eddie who was freaking out.

"Steve Steve Steve. no no! What then hell was that thing, man!? JESUS!" Eddie shouted, before Nancy jumped into the boat. "Hold up wheeler! You're not going in there are you??"

Nancy turned to him, "Just- wait here!" she shouted and then dived into the water, swimming down to help Steve.

Next came Robin, it was almost like some follow the leader shit. She neared the edge and then looked at Eddie. "You think she's in charge? Are you kidding me? I made that shit up." She told him and then held her nose, falling backwards into the water to also go help, Steve.

Nellie looked at Eddie and laughed, "Hey calm down i'm the one who hasn't swum in let's say- a few years!" she said and then stood up. "Come on we have to go now! They're our friends too we will look like assholes otherwise."

Eddie sighed, "Aw this is so stupid!" He said out loud, speaking his thoughts. "So stupid!"

Nellie went to the edge of the boat and then nodded, "See you down there Munson!" She did a salute to him and then jumped into the water to make her way down to where all the others had gone, not that any of them knew where that was but the main thing on their mind was saving Steve from whatever had tried to drowned him.