Chapter Eight: The Questioning

Nellie looked at them and waited for the questions unsure how to really start. She'd never spoken about it with anyone before, in fact, she never thought she'd even get to after what had happened to her. She'd been imprisoned by the Germans but they thought it useful if she was at a psychiatric hospital and not at their own facilities, which in a way was lucky in a sense that they didn't use demogorgans as punishment because there where she was now, the worse punishment was being isolated and your own company. However, being in her own company had been what she had gotten used to for years now, when she was younger she'd often been her own friend as her family hadn't cared much about her and more about her sister when she'd been a child so it didn't affect her like it did many others. That was most likely why she was still somewhat sane compared to the rest of the prisoners.

Nancy took out a pen and some paper, only to be looked at strangely by the woman in the cell. "This is just to help my friends and so I remember. No reports I promise."

"So first do you wanna describe your side of this whole thing?" She asked, Robin just looking at the prison in fascination.

Nellie thought for a moment, "well it all started before I was even in Hawkins, I lived somewhere else with my family but nothing was ever right. There was some growing power inside of me that I was yet to have control over and it started to affect me worse once we'd moved here. My parents moved a year or so before the Creels for a new start, they thought it would be good for me and most of all my sister but oh were they wrong..."

Nancy noted down a few things and then sat up a little, "by growing power. What do you mean?"

Nellie sighed and then continued, "you see I have powers like many other children in my time did. Of course, I didn't know this to begin with and Henry was the first to show me that there could be others like me if I looked, that I wasn't alone. You see I have telekinesis and I can do a lot more as well."

Nancy turned to Robin, "she's like Eleven, see the comparison?" She asked her, Robin agreeing and seeming quite fascinated by the whole experience.

"Eleven? Whose Eleven?" Nellie asked.

"Eleven is a girl who we know well. She was a subject at a place called Hawkins laboratory where-" she began but was interrupted.

"Hawkins Lab you say?" Nellie questioned. "I went there when I was young with... with Henry." She told them and glanced down at her wrist. "We were brought there after an incident but it was a horrible place. I was lucky to have him there though, we were great friends until we tried to escape and I ended up in some strange place with no way back to the real world."

Nancy exchanged a look with Robin again and this time both of them were listening to the conversation. For a while all was silent but this other strange place definitely seemed to be the upside-down. The entire description of it was perfect. Nellie described it as a dark place with not much life, a place that looked like Hawkins yet lonelier with creatures ruling it. She mentioned that it seemed to be a place you'd only expect a child to have nightmares about, not something expected to ever actually exist.

"How did you end up at the lab then? You and this Henry Creel I mean." Robin asked a question this time.

Nellie closed her eyes as if remembering something and then spoke up, "Well I was only around ten at the time but I couldn't control my powers yet and neither could Henry. Henry was the first to lose it though. One day, I was looking out of my bedroom window, opposite to where the kitchen to the Creel House was located and the lights started to flicker." She began to tell the story from what she could remember of that night.