2. Save Your Tears

I couldn't believe I was now an official member of the Shadow Hunters Pack.

The initiation had been quicker than I'd assumed.

I was making my way back to Magnus when a hand grabbed me by the wrist, yanking me back hard against the side of the Pack House. My teeth clicked from the abrupt impact slamming into my back. I clenched my jaw but the scent of citrus and cedarwood filled my nose. I went still, finally meeting those copper eyes in the dark.

Jamison.

I'd managed to avoid him the whole day. I was beginning to think I had done a good job because I hadn't seen him after my arrival. I should've known that he would've sought me out. He'd seen me before. I could only imagine what he was contemplating. That was the last time we made eye contact before I severed it and focused my attention on keeping myself calm and collected.

It'd been long months since I'd last seen him.

In all honestly, I never wanted to see him again after that night.

Even now, fury emanated from him as he slowly lowered his head. "What the fuck are you doing here?" He asked quietly. His words stung as warm air brushed my cheek. "I warned you what would happen if I saw you again."

I forced myself to not react to his words, or the threat in his tone. I told myself that he didn't know what I'd been up to in the last few months or what my true intentions were.

He didn't know that I would never harm the Alpha.

Or anyone else for that matter.

I just needed a few more weeks.

After that, I would be nothing more than a passing thought.

Life would move on and I would be nothing.

"What's your plan here?" Jamison demanded, "What the fuck are you going to do here?"

"Step back, you're in my space." I calmly told him.

Jamison watched me quietly but no less aggressively, "You need to leave. So, leave."

I met his glare head on, "I can't."

"Why?" He demanded.

"I have a few more things to settle. After that, you won't ever have to see me again. I swear on my life, you will never see me again."

"Bullshit."

"Jamison."

"Don't. Don't speak my name." He snarled. "If anything, I want you to expunge it from your tongue. Understand?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat but conceded a nod. "I won't say your name."

Jamison continued to glare at her, "I gave you a warning. I meant it. If you're not out of here soon enough, I will be forced to act."

After that incident, Jamison didn't see me again, not really. At least, for the next few days. Word travelled through the Pack that he'd been bitten by one of those poisoned changelings and was currently trapped in a deep slumber of some sort at the Healer's cottage. No one knew when he would awake. I'd been hesitant to ask anyone about Jamison's state, considering, I'd just been newly inducted into Pack. It took time for people to get used to changes but it wasn't like the Shadow Hunters rejected me.

They'd accepted me.

In truth, I should've stayed away but no matter how much I tried to go my own way, I found myself loitering near the Healer's cottage. A very small part of me wanted to see how the Enforcer was faring