8. Nightmares

I was going crazy.

The blood red eyes I'd seen had disappeared when I took a step into their direction. Without the distraction of immediate danger, I took the time to explore my new environment.

I had stopped walking once my feet began to ache. I plopped down at the base of a tree and leaned against the sturdy trunk, catching my breath.

I had to be careful. I had to be mindful of the energy I was expending. If something happened, I needed to be in top condition.

Other than feeling thirsty and experiencing the aches in my feet, nothing had happened.

Maybe I wasn't in the Weeping Forest. The lingering thought vanished as quickly as it appeared. I covered my face with my palms and exhaled a breath.

What was I missing?

I closed my eyes and rocked my head back until it touched the surface of the trunk. I clasped my fingers together and thought about what to do. It would be useful if someone at least knew I was in here-

I cursed. I did have a way of letting someone know. If Jamison's dreams were truly linked with mine, I would be able to see him when I succumbed to sleep.

I didn't want to fall asleep in the Weeping Forest because this place was infested with eerie vibes. It would leave me open and vulnerable but I was desperate. I had no other choice.

I focused on my breathing and my heart rate, willing my limbs to soften up. It took longer than usual for my body to feel any semblance of relaxation. I eased the tension in my shoulders and slumped against the tree...

"You're back." Jamison approached me with a knowing look. He looked completely relaxed as he took me in from head to toe. There was also a certain smugness laced in his tone as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Just as I predicted."

I blinked, and assessed our surroundings. It looked like we were in one of the vast, nameless fields in the Pack. Jamison was dressed head to toe in his Enforcer gear while I was still sporting the same clothes I had on before I closed my eyes.

"Are we both lucid dreaming?" I asked Jamison.

I couldn't let my guard down. This easily could've been an effect from being in the Weeping Forest. I heard people suffered hallucinations in here.

Jamison closed most of the distance between us. "What's wrong?" He asked carefully. The earlier ease in him dissipated keeping him alert and in tune with my mood.

It was an interesting thing watching his eyes dart from my left to right eye, studying them with an intensity that would've made any other women go weak in the knees.

"Are you really in my dreams?" I asked.

Jamison nodded, "Now tell me what's going on."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I think I've wandered into the Weeping Forest."

Jamison didn't react for a few seconds but then he was suddenly in my space, clutching my arms. My lips froze as I took in his expression. It was the first time I'd seen him look so...unsettled.

"Don't joke about something like this." Jamison chastised.

When I snapped out of my thoughts, I shook my head. "I'm not joking. I don't know how long I've been here. I keep hearing water but I don't see any bodies of water nearby."

His grip on my arms tightened. "You're in a very dangerous place Mila."

"How do I get out? You've been here before right? When you took the test to become part of the Elite Enforcers?"