7. Dream Version of You

I woke up from my sleep with a choked gasp. I held my throat and glanced beside me. Relief immediately swept over me as I realised I was alone. There was no sign of a cinnamon haired man sprawled beside me, embracing me against a warm wide chest. I patted the surface of my mattress and huffed out a sigh when it felt cold to the touch.

Why did I have such a dream?

I fell back into my mattress and rubbed my temples. I probably needed to get checked out by McKenna. I wasn't sure what she could do for me but it wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe she had something for delusions.

I could not have sexy dreams about Jamison.

More importantly, he could never find out.

I spent the morning preparing for the day, although images of Jamison would infiltrate my thoughts at random intervals. After a long soak in the bath, I changed into a pair of worn jeans and a white tee. I twisted my hair into a bun and finally pulled on my combat boots.

The morning air was crisp as I made my way to the old cottage. When I pushed the red door open, it creaked as I pushed my fingers against it. I poked my head inside and scanned the dark room quietly. There was no sign of Jamison inside but his scent of cedar wood and citrus was very faint in the air. I was a little worried considering it meant that Jamison could've left the cottage a lot earlier than he should've in his state.

I shifted the curtains of the small two windows to the side to allow streams of lights inside.

The ingredients for the elixir were splayed on a counter. It looked like Jamison had organised them neatly in a row before he left.

The more I explored the cottage, the more I noticed that Jamison had not only organised the ingredients on the counter, he had taken the time to sort out the cupboards filled with equipment. There was a drawer with protective goggles, a hair net, gloves and even a mask. The items didn't look worn out either. They looked new but that couldn't be possible.

Did someone restock the place between the time Jamison left and I arrived?

I took out the bowls, tubes and other instruments I needed to make the elixir. Once I donned on my safety gear, I began prepping the ingredients.

I broke concentration when someone rapped on the door. Distracted, I called out for them to enter the cottage as I sterilised a glass jar.

"I'm here for the lights."

My thoughts scattered as I glanced up to see Jamison leaning up against the counter with his arms crossed against his chest. He looked freshly showered as he scanned the mess across the counter. He was dressed in his black Enforcer uniform, which did wonders to accentuate his athletic form. My attention dipped to the small plastic bag dangling from his fingers. I couldn't see what was encased in the bag but I had a feeling he had a new light bulb in there.

My damn eyes honed in on his lips without my consent. Dream Jamison's lips were soft and inviting. Real Jamison's lips were currently pursed in a thin line, making him look unapproachable.

I flinched when his gaze suddenly pinned me on the spot. "Looks like you started quite early."

I glanced at my watch, "I've been here since an hour ago."

Jamison nodded although he did look distracted.

"Are you ok?" I asked him before I could stop myself. Now that he was in front of me, I could see that he looked like he lacked sleep.

Jamison raised a brow but relented a head nod as he confirmed my thoughts. "I had little sleep."

I knew Jamison didn't say this to provoke some guilt from me. Jamison only stated the blunt truth, or at least, in my opinion, he has. I would have been more surprised if he lied to me to protect my feelings in some sort of way.