twenty

Setting: Kim K's house in Hidden Hills, California

The ride home from the party was... eventful. Mae and Chi got in an uber ride with other girls that where trying to escape the party. Once the girls realized they were the daughters of two A-list celebrities, they freaked out. They begged for pictures but Mae and Chi had to bribe them to not say anything because they weren't supposed to be at the party in the first place.

When they made it home, Demi and Kim were still gone. It was going on midnight and the house was oddly quiet but they didn't pay no mind. Once they got to Chi's room, they quickly took a shower and changed out of their clothes, making sure to not leave a trace of the party.

"Are you sure I don't smell like weed?" Mae asked Chi as she brushed her wet hair. Chi had told her to wash everything, including her hair.

"Bitch I promise. The only thing our moms will smell is my new body wash from Chanel." Chi laughed. Mae didn't know how she was so calm right now. They just ran from the cops after Mae pushed her ex best friend in the pool. How was she not freaking out?

"Okay and what do we say if they ask why we took showers?" Mae asked. Considering she probably wasn't going to spend the night, there was no reason for her to take a shower at their house and wear Chi's pajamas.

Chi thought for a second. "Umm, we can just say we went in the pool." Mae nodded her head. After they had all their lies in order, the sound of the front door opening rang through their ears.

Mae and Chi exchanged a look before jumping into action to make it look like they've been home the whole time. Chi jumped under her covers and put on a movie while Mae laid on the beanbag and put a blanket over her.

Right on time, Demi came through Chi's bedroom doors. They looked stressed and tired. Mae had seen her mother after she didn't get days of sleep but this was different. Compared to a couple hours ago, when Mae last saw Demi, she looked sleep deprived.

"Come on Maeve. We have to go home." Demi spoke, her voice hoarse. Mae mentally gagged at the sound of her full name. If Demi was still calling her Maeve that could only mean she was still mad at her— very mad at her.

"Can I come here after school tomorrow?" Mae asked. She would do anything to not be at home right now.

"No, you're grounded. What part of that do you not understand?" Demi firmly spoke, not missing how Mae rolled her eyes but not having the energy to yell at her for it. Truthfully, Mae didn't understand any part of it. She had never been grounded before. Everything about this was new to her.

Mae gave Chi a hug goodbye and followed Demi out of the door. Once they got into the car, Demi let out an exaggerated sigh and let her head hit the back of the seat. In the car light, Mae could see how pale her mothers face was.

"Why do you have Chi's clothes on?" Demi asked without looking at Mae, catching her by surprise.

Mae swallowed the lump in her throat before answering. "We went swimming in the pool." Mae lied but Demi didn't object. They simply nodded their head and drove off.