twenty-three

Setting: Mae's House in Hidden Hills, California

Demi slowly made their way up the stairs but not taking their usual route to their master suite

Demi slowly made their way up the stairs but not taking their usual route to their master suite. They went in the opposite direction and made their way to the guest bedroom. Demi and Jesse had been arguing, that was no surprise. But ever since Demi flipped out on Mae and kicked her out, things got worse. Jesse had fully moved into the guest house and hadn't made any attempt to talk to Demi. They never saw each other or called to check up. Demi thought of it was the two of them 'taking a break'.

Demi couldn't sleep in their bedroom. The bedroom that her and Jesse designed and made it perfect for them. Waking up in bed alone was just too painful. She had transported some of her clothes and basic necessities to the new room so she wouldn't have to go back and forth every night.

The water was turned to the hottest temperature it could go and Demi stripped out of her clothes before stepping into the shower. The hot water felt good on her sore muscles from working all day. Demi had filled her days with endless meetings and rehearsals because that was the only thing that could keep her mind off of things.

She couldn't handle thinking about her broken marriage anymore. She loved Jesse. That was her other half. But it was like all the love that they once had for each other vanished within a matter of seconds. Demi couldn't pinpoint the exact moment when their marriage started to go downhill but she wished she could go back in time and fix it all.

After a while, Demi finished up her night routine. She dropped the towel around her body to change into a two piece navy blue set. It wasn't too much but it would keep her cool. The beginning of summer was always the worst and hottest days.

Demi turned to the bed and found Jesse already there, acting as if nothing had happened. He wore nothing but his pajama pants and a smirk on his face as he watched Demi's reaction. She jumped in the air, not expecting to see him— or anyone for that matter.

"Don't worry, I've seen it all." Jesse joked. Demi rolled her eyes. She wasn't worried about him seeing her naked, just as of why he was here. They hadn't talked in days, did he really think he could just show up like this?

"What are you doing here, Jesse? I thought you were sleeping in the guest house." Demi questioned as she pulled the comforter back on her side and got comfortable in bed. She was tired and wasn't going to let Jesse stop her from getting some rest.

"I was but it was late and I didn't feel like walking back there. I didn't expect to find you in here though."

"I haven't been sleeping in our room recently." Demi quietly admitted. She felt ashamed to tell him. She didn't want to tell her husband that she couldn't sleep in their bedroom because she missed him and felt bad about everything they had gone through.