Tiff's Diary, 2/14/22

It has been a weird year and a half.

That's a good thing. I love being here. I love Lake Wonder more than life itself.

And I can recount everything that happened off the back of my hand, like reading off a script. The notes help, sure, but it's all in my head, and I can remember it from there. I am an open book; it's just that some of the lines have been covered in shitty dollar-store whiteout. The ones that haven't tell the story of me getting kicked out, moving quite literally across the country, and falling in love with this place while investigating the truth of the town, getting involved with the Oneiron Incident, and learning about all sorts of things I didn't think could be possible but believe in nonetheless. 

This town is my first love, and my final one. I would do anything for the people in it. (Except Former-Mayor Chip Winger. Fuck that guy. I'm so glad I got the chance to kick him in the ribs while he was shitting himself in the Dream World.)

Speaking of love--

Valentine's Day is imminent! You can't hide from it! Nobody can! It consumes all!

Already, the crepe paper and streamers decorate the halls. Pink and red butcher paper posters and hearts are out on display. Shops are all dressed up for the occasion; they have been for weeks. Couples hold each other closer-- whether it's because they genuinely love each other or because they feel pressured to by the nature of the season. Even Mr. Beck has caught the bug. He looks at the portrait of his wife in the office, dreamy-eyed. It's clear that he misses her. He even made me move my sci-fi display to the back so he could show off some tawdry romance novels and old pulps. I didn't know the store had a copy of Odd Girl Out until he had me put it front and center. Normally, I would be fascinated by it. On days like this, though, it feels as though I am being smothered by the notion of romantic love-- and I think I might go insane.

Last year, I was distracted by things. Bigfoot, mostly. Bigfoot and getting the lay of the land.

This year, I am feeling it full-force. It's an intense sort of melancholy loneliness I know I shouldn't feel. Romance isn't for me; Valentine's Day is primarily for romance; therefore, by the transitive property of equality, V-Day was never meant for people like me. It's hard not to feel left out.

But you know what? I'm going to make it for me. After all, V-Day is the perfect time to gather information about people, especially those with (shall we say) supernatural and magic secrets and lovers? And it's always a good day for investigation. It's always a good day to search for and understand the truth and its consequences. That is the greatest comfort.

At least I can get a veritable stockpile of discount chocolate at the grocery store come the fifteenth, right?

I'm the one in charge here, and I'm going to know everything.

In other news, my projects are coming along great! Not.

I fear the investigation into David McFadden and the werewolves of Lake Wonder may have hit a dead end. I got myself a copy of Dr. Theodore's text on werewolf mythology in Lake Wonder-- the same one Mr. McFadden bought from the Book Nook. I was fascinated, in particular, by his account of werewolf myths in the eighties. Apparently there were some sightings, and then there were more sightings of a different variety in the mid-to-late 2000s that were reported, but not properly investigated. Since this book was published recently and Dr. Thedore's credentials check out (apparently he works at the university I have been doing my concurrent enrollment credits at), I am inclined to trust this book. And I'm inclined to believe that there is something off about the McFadden family. Their combined book choices... You don't buy that many books about lycanthropy and living with the supernatural without knowing something about something.

The gun is coming along decently. (This is also a lie. It's going horribly. My inability to buy metal off the internet has proved to be a severe hindrance in this ray gun-building endeavor. How am I supposed to make this thing shoot lasers in a way that harms people and not the gun in the process? I guess I have to keep working at it.)

And the Bigfoot search has also been a bust. I keep thinking about that photo Claudia Nielsen posted. It was taken here, in Lake Wonder-- and, yet, I have found nothing in the area I know it was taken in. In fact, I have found less than nothing. I think someone knows something, or maybe Claudia's photo was a hoax. I wish I were better at telling when things aren't real. Perhaps I'm missing something? Perhaps there's something just under my nose that I have forgotten about?

I'm setting these projects to the side for a minute, though. Science bowl prep and the V-Day investigation have to take precedence. I have to practice, you know? Our first match is in mid-March and we really have to buckle down.

If only the one person on this team I actually like was still around, right?

Maybe I should text her.

I would, if I knew she was going to reply. But no, someone had to get a boyfriend and get put in the hospital again and have completely understandable reasons for not talking to me that I can't even argue with because I get it. But we do need her at practice, including lunchtime practices.

But you know what? It's fine. It's all fine. I don't need to text her. I can just try to corner her tomorrow, if she isn't too busy. For now, it's time to get ready! And make some flash cards! And try my hardest not to think about Bigfoot!