Trophy Mercs 4: Recess

"I don't believe it," Cheq says, "how could this have happened right under our noses?" His hands tremble over his keyboard as he sifts through the active rosters for certified mercenary outfits. The stack of files we've carefully put together is no longer accurate, that is, if this digital measurement is telling the truth.

"Gauss Beam: Decommissioned, Light Year: Decommissioned, Heat Wave: Decommissioned, N-TCK: Decommissioned. This is impossible," he continues. "Something tells me they didn't all decide to just quit at the same time."

"It's those Hunters," Knight says, banging a fist on a nearby table and rattling the monitors, "they've made a target out of the mercs in this galaxy. We didn't notice because we were too busy pretending that this wasn't a big problem."

Cheq swivels in his chair to face me, his expression is heavy with fear. "What are we going to do? Is there anything we can do? Nev?"

I tap my chin. "Don't freak out just yet. There's no proof that these outfits were hunted, they could've easily just pulled out their license and jumped galaxies."

"Keep dreaming," Malware says behind me.

I take control of the computer, but let Cheq keep using the chair. "There does seem to be at least a couple of active outfits that aren't us."

Cheq shakes his head. "You're not talking about those losers, are you?"

I spare him a look. "Like them or not, they're in danger the same way we are. The least we could do is remind them how active these hunters have been. They might still think it's other mercs doing us in."

Malware stomps closer. "It was during the beginning. We gave them a handicap and started offing each other to make things easy for them."

I point to our metal friend. "Malware, prepare to set up contact with Beta-Ray. I'll be there shortly."

"Aye-aye," he says sarcastically and heads for the command deck.

I turn to Cheq and Knight. "Besides Bouncer and his rats, the only other active group is Sky Chasers. There's no way I can contact them, they've always valued their secrecy. Something tells me they already know anyway."

"Shame. I'd feel a little better with a Sky Chaser around," Cheq says.

"Well, one was kicked out for being jailed, and the other stole our old team leader and took him to a different galaxy. A galaxy they refuse to tell us where it's located or what it's called. An expert hacker like Faiyoh would be invaluable in predicting what the Hunter's next move will be."

Malware (Intercom): "Nev, Beta-Ray is online."

Sharing a despairing look with my team, I reluctantly head towards the command deck. I'm greeted with a frowning fat face belonging to a cold-hearted individual named Bouncer. I take my seat, Cheq and Knight take both of my sides, Malware stays put in his seat out of camera view.

"Should I pour you a drink?" Malware asks.

I wave a hand at him. "Not necessary. I'll have to tolerate him with a clear mind." I roll my shoulders and breathe in deep as I hover my finger over the button that will activate my camera and mic. I press it and see Bouncer raise two bushy eyebrows.

Bouncer (Motley Comms): "Lux-Roulette, I haven't seen this herd of fools in a while. The little golden boy is all grown up, and missing an eye by the looks of it. Not the cute one anymore, are you?"

We're already off to a bad start. Hearing his voice forces the flashbacks of running around in his freighter with a target on my back. I remember exactly how I felt during that time. It felt like I was going to die like a dog. After all these years, that feeling still rattles me to my core.