Trophy Mercs 8: Sharing a Drink with an Enemy

All systems are as good as they're going to get. Ammo is ready, shields are charged, and hulls are pristine. Even with all this in mind, everyone seems to be waiting around with heavy sweat and queasy stomachs. Maybe it's just me.

"How much longer until the next attack?" I hear Knight ask Malware.

"We've still got some time. It'll be another sixteen hours before we're pinged again."

Cheq continues to type away at his terminal; a screen of incomprehensible codes litters his display. Incomprehensible to me, probably 3rd-grade literature for him. "If we had another techie in our little band of merry men, we'd also be able to work on intercepting that stupid ping, or at least find out what it is they're tracking and shoot it out into deep space."

Bouncer raises his left arm, showing off his PVD. "Maybe it's this fuckin' thing."

Cheq shakes his head. "Doubtful. Even if it was, it's not like we can just get rid of it. We need that thing for just about every action we take. It wouldn't be worth it just to have them stop tracking. Think about communication."

Malware points at his arm. "I can't even get rid of mine. It's built-in. I'd have to remove my appendage and replace it with one without a PVD."

I tap my chin. "I'm thinking that it's a waste of time to try and stop the tracking. That'll take more investigation, and we almost have an answer to finding out where the posting is coming from. It's best we focus on the things within our reach."

"Agreed," Knight says.

Bouncer waddles over to Cheq and leans one arm on the back of his chair. Cheq clearly is uncomfortable being that close to a long-term enemy. "You almost through, Gizmo? I'd like to know where the bastard that blew up my whole freighter is hiding out. I've got a few lives that need avenging."

"Not even close. But you? You're too close. Back up and let me work. The fewer interruptions, the faster I'll be done."

"Well, what are you doing right now?"

"I'm building a program for Malware so he can help me break some of these locks. It'll be faster with both of us working on it. Even if I'm not at the computer, Malware can automatically continue the process even while doing something else. It'll be a background service."

Bouncer takes the hint through Cheq's body language and backs off, but that only means he aims for a conversation with me. "Got any booze on this thing, kid? A stiff one would do wonders for my mental state."

I nod. "Sure. In fact, everyone aside from Cheq head to the recreational room. I'd like to give him some space to work."

"Thanks, Nev," Cheq says.

Bouncer insists multiple times that he'll be the one standing behind the bar pouring drinks, but it's not going to happen. I hand out glasses to everyone who wants to drink. Surprise--it's everyone. His first cup doesn't last long at all, he gulps it down in one go. That wasn't a shot glass, it's a nursing glass. He puts his cup down and slides it to me without a word. I give him another round, and it's gone as fast as I poured it. Once more, I fill it up.

"Checking out of reality?" Malware asks him.

"Have you seen it lately? The sooner, the better." This time he only takes a sip, but his cheeks are already getting flushed. From what Titan and Bouncer have told me, Bouncer doesn't drink all too much. He and Titan used to have competitions when they were younger, which resulted in a stomach pump once a month for Bouncer. Ever since then, he says that he goes easy on the sauce. It doesn't appear so right now.