once upon a time [Twice - Mina X Reader]

!Disclaimer! My stories are not beta read so there might be grammatical and/or any other English errors. I hope you enjoy!

It was a gentle fall of a raindrop. The cascading droplets followed, leaving Mina in the rain as she sat by the river. A river she once loved so much.

And yet now it held a bitter taste. Even speaking its name was one thing she found hard to do. It often got caught in her throat, when once upon a time, it fell right out of her mouth. Almost naturally, and instinctively.

Once upon a time, this was her happy place. One where she would find her solace and peace. Where she was able to find that little time to slow down her pace. Take a breather from the quickening steps of the world around her - a world where she was not allowed to take breaks.

Once upon a time, this was where she found love. A love that she held close to her heart. A love she found herself basking in. A love that, with even a mere thought, it brought such a bright, glorious smile to her face. A love, in the form of someone name y/n.

Once upon a time, she had brought them here. Where they soon shared memories.  Moments that she wanted to go back to. Moments where she felt happy. Moments where she wanted time to merely stop, just so she could live in them for just a little while longer.

But alas, God gave his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers. Isn't that what they say. Aren't those words meant to be comforting.

And yet, that day, when she heard them, she wanted to throw up. She felt bile in her throat. She felt her stomach churn. She wanted to go up to God. She wanted to yell at him. Scream at him that she wasn't strong. She wasn't tough. She wasn't able to withstand his battles.

She'd lost the battle. She lost everything when y/n slipped from her grasp. She felt herself crumble, her structure collapsing in an instant. All those memories, moments in time. Those came tumbling towards her.

Like a tidal wave, it crashed, submerged her, drowned her.

So she wasn't strong. God gave the battle to the wrong soldier. She wasn't even a soldier. She couldn't stand tall, stand strong. She wasn't able to without them by her side.

She wasn't able to look around the world, and think for a moment that maybe everything will be okay. She wasn't able to get out of bed without thinking that she wanted to be with them once more.

She wasn't able to walk along her once beloved river without thinking of the times she spent with them here. She wasn't able to look around the world and find some peace in her heart.

That piece of her heart died along with them.

She was filled with a certain anger. To whatever caused this from high above. For what reason she deserved this. For what she did to have this happen to her.

And the constant thought in her head, that plagued her along with many what ifs. What if it had been me instead.

No, it should've been me. She would always think. y/n would grieve, but they would live. They were strong. They were tough. They would be able to handle it, better than her.

Because they were a rock. A rock that she leaned on over the course of 5 years. A rock that had cracks, but always held up, always had space for her to lean onto and get the peace she craves. A rock that had stood in front of her to shield her from bullets and arrows.

Her rock that she loved, she loved with her heart. The rock that found solace in her heart for years.

The rock she loved. The rock she needed. The rock she wanted. The rock that brought her joy and comfort, love and peace. A sense of belonging.

Without that rock, now she had no one to lean on. No one to shield her. No one to guide her. The rock was gone. It crashed and broke. And now, her heart was following, crashed and broken. Torn to bits.

It all crashed down on her, when she saw the casket lowering. She felt herself die, a part of her lost.

And as she lay by the river which she once loved. She thought that maybe, in another life, she would be laying here in this moment in their lap, as they chatted normally about their days and stressful lives. But how it would all turn out okay because they had each other.

But in this reality she was cursed to live in, she had to find a way for it to be okay, without them there. Without them to cuddle, to comfort, to find her peacefulness in.

As she sat in the rain she thought of her once upon a time, the time where she was happy and loved. But now she had to learn to live without that. To fight though the cold, harsh times of this winter that was brought over to her when she didn't ask for it, she didn't want it.

That once upon a time was now gone. Only it's fleeting memories were remembered, with the chapter closing.

Mina had to learn to live through the new one, to write and live the chapter y/n would've wanted her to. The life y/n would say she deserved. And she would try.

She would try for them.

Because they still have her strength, and comfort and peace. Even without them, she still knew they were there. Someway somehow, in her heart she knew.

So, she would try to live the life they wanted her to.

~fin.

Requested by: ItssJana