CHAPTER 2: FEEDBACK

For the sake of simplicity, in upcoming chapters, I will combine writing and architecture into one term I can refer to as creatives.

Feedback can be a creative's desired friend or worst enemy. Unfortunately, feedback does not take the credit it deserves. It is, undoubtedly, feared and some creatives do not pursue their work in progress or creative development because of that fear. One can understand fear and methods of practice on how to handle it, which I'll discuss in later chapters. However, what I am referring to in this chapter is the understanding of feedback, how to give it, how to receive feedback, and how to ‌compile useful notes into one's reiterated creative process.

What is Feedback?

Feedback is when one seeks a singular or multiple criticisms regarding one's own work. It is essential for our creative development and knowledge expansion to understand what works, what doesn't, and why?

Types of Feedback?

According to my personal experience, I have analyzed three forms of feedback: constructive, deconstructive, and trolls.

Constructive feedback: constructive feedback is when you give someone useful notes‌. Someone displays respectable feedback and is as detailed as possible so the receiver can optimize a new perception of their work.

Preferred method: the sandwich method where you display what you liked about someone's project, then give your notes for improvement and finally end it on a pleasant note.

Example for authors: This is an interesting background story. It worked for me because it made me understand the villain's past and how they came to be. However, I recommend you maybe want to add some dialogues rather than completely stating the info. It will make the story even more believable and make us, as readers, empathize with the villain. It was actually an enjoyable read and I can't wait to read more of what happens to the villain who turned out not-so-villain anymore.

Example for architects: This project has potential. I ‌admire the attention to detail of your plans, and how you designed the space effectively. I recommend you'd want to try out different colours and materials for the exterior facade. This can help give justice to your concept and ensure the comfortability of users. Well done, and I look forward to seeing your rounds of improvements.

Is it desirable? Yes.

Is it recommended? Definitely.

Should I do it? Without question.

What if I don't know how to? It takes time and effort to ‌develop such a skill. Remember the old saying "Practice makes Perfect"? Well, there you have it!

Deconstructive feedback: deconstructive criticism is more of giving feedback, but you are basically downgrading the person and/or their work.

Preferred method: My advice is to develop thick skins for these particular feedbacks. It's not because the comments hurt, or actually, they do hurt like hell, but because you will need peace of mind to ‌filter out what is being said. This means that you will need to recompose what is being said about your work or areas that need improvement and concentrate on that instead of how they said it made you feel.

Example for authors: Your grammar is not transitional, and there are so many plot holes. Your characters aren't original and I have read those in fifty other books. What makes your story different? Why should I give the time of my day to even read this? Think of that when writing so that you don't ‌waste someone's time. You need more work on grammar structure, and please revise your spelling. In addition, your dialogue tags need revision, and it seems you confuse them with action tags.