CHAPTER 6: PLANNING VS. WORKING

One can plan as long and as detailed as they want, but things may take a different direction in the implementation phase. Therefore, I prefer to be called a Planster. It is a combination of a planner (someone who plans meticulously), and a panster (someone who writes on the spot without planning). It seems that we could extend such terminology to the world of architecture.

Why? There are those who plan their design and think of several aspects, and those who design as they get to the preliminary design phase.

It doesn't mean that one is more correct than the other. It means that some can envision their project before they design it, while other figure it along the way.

However, one does realize, regardless of how one approaches their project, that the planning phase is far different from the implementation or "working" phase.

Why does it happen? Isn't the whole point of planning is to avoid going off track? Or trying to be as prepared as possible when challenges come up? Well yes and no. When it comes to creativity, one can go back to the creative process chart.

It is due to that fact that we learn that there are challenges, no matter how well-prepared you can become, appear and need to be handled with care. Whether it is during writing, editing in case of writing, or planning and re-designing in case of architecting. This fact of unforeseen yet promised challenges helps one optimize their creativity.

How so? The fact that sometimes the story line of either designing a building or creating a story can give one the feel of freedom. One is no longer confined by rules or the mechanics of expectations, but is given the opportunity to explore their challenges with unbound curiosity.

In this case this creative freedom allows for one's learning experience to acquire the difference between planning and working; in addition how to bridge such.

What happens if one acquires such an experience? Does one get to align these two points? Theoretically speaking, yes one would be able to synchronize what they need and how to portray it while allowing for their follow of creativity to lead the way during the implementation phase. Practically speaking, there might be some challenges where one won't be able to synchronize both points; however, with acquired experience would know how to handle these challenges.