CHAPTER 5: HOW TO WRITE?

There are several steps to writing. Whether it is a novel, novella, or short story, most of which can apply.

Research; whichever topics you may cover from non-fiction to fantasy, one should understand the following:

Genre. What is it? What features or characteristics does the genre(s) entail? What are its cliches, so that you can know how to break them or use them to your advantage? What are stereotypes involved while writing that particular genre(s)?

Tone. The tone is basically the voice of your story or work. Is it professional and serious? Is it sarcastic and light? Is it mysterious?

Success Stories. Learn why those stories of your chosen genre were successful? Did they challenge a whole market? Did they enhance an idea? Did they give insights into better views of the mind or the world?

This one is my particular favorite because there is nothing better to learn from except through example. Learn from Example. Learn why a book succeeded in the market and why its sibling didn't thrive? Why did one blow readers' minds out and why didn't it intrigue them enough to continue?

Community; whether building or finding an established one, is something one should search for. Why? Because they are your most resourceful allies who will give you all the insights and the know-how of what you want, need, and how to bridge both to your benefit.

Idea. Do you have an idea? Great, start prepping your papers or laptop and start writing down. Don't have any ideas? Google prompts (especially in the genre you anticipate writing in) and finds what strikes your imagination

Write. Alas, we have come to find our well-deserved phase. Everyone has a story to tell, and everyone has something worthy that will make our minds blow. Now I, personally, cannot tell you what to write but I may offer some guidance on how to write you it.

Read How-to books.

Read Books within your genre.

Read Books that have specific elements you're trying to write. For example, if you are writing a Rom-Com subgenre crime, then I suggest you read books of Rom-Coms and stories of crime.

Watch movies and/or series. You would be surprised at how visuals can help stir one's imagination to understand the practicality of an action.

Edit. After you finish writing, leave it and celebrate! Then come back with fresh energy to proofread your work and start editing. Look for spelling, grammar, structure, and plot development, and if there see any plot holes you can fill them, as well as character development. If you wish to understand the differences or importance of each I highly recommend going back to your #1 best friend: RESEARCH.

Feedback. How you do it, and where it is up to you. But now that you finished your book, and have given it a few rounds of edits/revision, one can go only far on their own. Therefore, we seek Feedback from professionals, mentors, editors, and/or writer friends for honest criticism that can help us find challenges, your eyes by nature wouldn't have seen it.

Inspire. Alas, when all has been said and done there is one final step to go. Inspire those around you with your work. How you wish to inspire: traditional, self, or social publishing routes, is not the focus point. The end result is whatever route you do choose, you will know that your work will inspire someone out there in the world. After all, what is writing about if it's not to spark our imagination in some way?

Tip #1: When you write, finish your work first THEN edit. If you do both, then you double the effort and mental concentration which results in quick energy drainage and exhaustion. However, if you write first and then edit that will help your level of focus to increase as you can properly and scrutinizingly indulge yourself in your work and revision phase.

Tip #2: When requesting feedback, it is preferred to ask your partner, or whoever is reading your work, specific questions. The more specific your questions are, the more helpful feedback can be.

Tip #3: To learn how to edit, I suggest you give feedback to fellow writers. See their work and offer advice and criticism. This technique will help you to develop what is called: A Critical Eye. This critical eye will help you catch the typos and errors or setbacks that you face in your writing. Your trained brain will be wired to offer advice and guidance, automatically, due to its constant practice on your fellow writers' criticisms you previously offered.

Tip #4: Write at your own pace. It is great to write five thousand words, but it's okay if it isn't happening to you. You write when you have your scheduled session, or slot, to write.

Tip #5: Find and create a schedule that works for you. If 5.00 am in the morning works best for you because you enjoy working in silence, then slot this as your writing session. If you work best at night when everyone is asleep, then slot that. If you enjoy working on your lunch break because you are most productive around noise, then schedule that.

Tip #6: There will come a time when you don't know what you want to write, what is your creative voice, or what genre you enjoy writing about. Some people will call that writer's Block, I call it my Best Research Opportunity. Now I don't need to go full-on research mode, but searching for new information, inspiration, and reading about things or others' work are great opportunities for me to grow and learn as a writer. I cannot grow if I don't have a time where I fall, or when I reach a roadblock. That roadblock is an opportunity because I have 2 things I can do about it:

Break Through it and see what's on the other side OR

Place it on my road map and start working my way around it to see what other roads ahead of me can lead me to better hone my skills.

Both scenarios help you grow in different ways, but the outcome is the same: you grow.