CHAPTER 8: SEEKING ADVICE

A great person once told me that there are people willing to help, all I need to do is ask. I took that advice to my heart, and live by it today.

One should master the courage to acknowledge what's missing in their qualities and seek advice on how to improve. On one condition: learn to choose whom to ask what and when.

Sometimes you can choose unprofessional people who aim to do you harm. Other times, you choose the right ones but discuss your challenges at an inconsiderable time.

There are obvious ones like the ones that wish to harm you or affect your credentials negatively. For example, in the workplace one may utilize your insufficient knowledge of a certain topic and they would misguide you, whether it was on purpose or not it's not the topic; however, what is pressing here is one to know the information or advice given is of value.

Tip #1: Always cross-reference the information provided.

Research, and ask other people to verify your newly-provided advice.

Tip #2: Make mistakes and be confident while doing so. Because this will give you the experience required to be able to determine the genuine people to go back and seek their advice.

Tip #3: seek professional advice from certified professionals in the field. Do you have a challenge in your book or are facing writer's block? Ask advice from your agent and editor as well as writer friends. Have a challenge in your project? Discuss it with your team, and manager.

Tip #4: Try to do your homework before seeking advice so that you can prepare specific questions when asking about a certain topic.