CHAPTER 3: RESEARCH

Research. My favourite topic. I see you shaking your head!

The topics I will cover are: what is research? Why do we need it? What if I don't know how to research? What do I do and how do I do it?

What is Research?

Research, according to Merriam-Webster, is by seeking information from various sources about a particular topic.

Why do we need it?

In order to have a sound foundation, in which one can move freely and experiment with a project or plot, research is the key to doing so.

Research is one's greatest tool and weapon to conquer doubt or the unknown. What does that mean? If you wish to empower a disabled person in a story, you will need intensive research on the disability, and ask people who dealt with it or lived with someone who has X disability. If you wish to facilitate service through architecture projects, then you must research the X disability, but from a different perspective.

What do you mean by different perspectives? That is a very interesting question. The answer is quite simple. This is where creative writing and architecture are different.

In creative writing, the questions you will need to ask yourself and research according, say for example regarding deafness and sign language, are‌: what is deafness, what is the spectrum of deafness, and how does it affect a person's daily activity, how do they sign, how to they recognize emergency ‌if they can't hear a siren, for example. How does a person move, or react to facial expressions, smells, or sudden movements? How do they use their other senses and how does it affect their behaviour, if it does or doesn't?

However, in architecture, the questions that one will need to tackle are: the definition of deafness, its spectrum, how to accommodate a space that visually interacts with a deaf person, and how to use colours and vibrations as means of communication while exploring a space? Does the person have an escort, in case people don't understand sign language? If so, how many? How will one design a space that is user-friendly to a deaf person with an escort, what if that person doesn't have an escort, how can I translate the space so that those who don't use sign language can translate it and communicate back?

Do you see the different approaches? Creative writing would most likely connect with the character on a personal level, while architecture will do the same but will reflect it in a spatial experience.

Is ‌one better than the other? No. They are simply a different means of representation.

However, I hope such a perspective shed light on the different approaches one may take to tackle a particular subject. And to do so, you will need intensive research.

Tip: there are ‌called sensitivity readers that creatives, especially in writing, refer to. What are those? Sensitivity readers are people who may have a direct relation with the topic you are researching on, whether it is themselves, maybe know a family member or someone they interact with at work or in their daily lives. We refer to sensitivity readers as fact-checker in order to make sure that the topic we are writing on is accurate and realistic. Listen to them. They are your guides.

What if I don't know how to research? What do I do and how do I do it?

Research is hard, but googling is easy. You can start by googling how to research, what. What are credible sources or sites that one can refer to? You may check Google Scholar, as the first step to research. There is unlimited access to topics you wish to cover or explore.

Tip #1: be critical.

Not all information is credible, that is why one needs to remain critical. We seek information that is honest and unbiased. Therefore, we are relieved from any personal opinions or self-reflections and delve further into numbers, facts, statistics, graphs, experimentations and/or surveys.

Good research is when you find facts and numbers, not opinions.

Great research is when you think critically about the information that you found, regardless of source, and start fact-checking.

Does it take time? Definitely. Some research can take up to five years, minimum.

Is it worth it? Without question. When you have enough information and keep yourself updated with the newest releases of articles, facts and experimentations, that is when you know you have conquered a topic.

Does it end? No. The only exception you don't gain any new information about a specific topic is when you stop researching.

Tip #2: critical vs. cynical.

There is a fine line between being critical and cynical.

Critical is being cautious about the told information, and counter-argue or confirming it with facts, numbers, and statistics. However, a cynical is someone wary about everything and anything but simply doesn't attempt to find information to counter-argue and/or confirm one's suspicion.

Tip #3: Ask questions.

It's okay to seek help when needed. If research isn't something you are fond of or struggle with, then ask for help. Seek guidance on how to research simply. Google and watch YouTube videos. Watch documentaries and take notes. There are various sources of information one can find. However, if you feel overwhelmed, ask someone to guide you through the various platforms. There are people out there — scholars, professors, teachers, friends, researchers, and colleagues — who will be interested in helping and guiding you. All you need to do is to ask.

Tip #4: Ask specific questions and be polite. If a person doesn't accept your request, thank them for their time and find someone else.

So is research hard? Maybe, for those who don't enjoy it. But that doesn't mean you can't make research enjoyable. Finding and searching about a topic you are passionate about is intriguing. Think of the desired topic you wish to tackle, understand what is that topic, how do you wish to tackle it and start researching from there.

More often than not, you may need to take notes as you won't possibly remember the credentials of the articles, plus the numbers, plus the intense details and facts, plus... well, you get the point. It's okay to seek help when needed. If research isn't something you are fond of or struggle with, then ask for help. 

Seek guidance on how to research simply. Google and watch YouTube videos. Watch documentaries and take notes. There are various sources of information one can find. However, if you feel overwhelmed, ask someone to guide you through the various platforms. 

Tip #5: Take Notes and make a clear Outline.

Notes and outlines work like a charm, and they are your keepers in helping you work on your solid foundation of any topic.

The next topic will be how to architect in your day-to-day life.