11 | detention

[💫]

september 30th 2022
4:00 pm

the two were patiently standing in front of the classroom door waiting for mr. kang to arrive.

riki was occasionally glancing at miki as the girl was staring at the floor with a troubled expression.
just as he was about to say something, the teacher's steps could be heard behind him.

the two made their way towards their seats, riki sitting in the last row while miki stayed in the front.

"i really don't have time to watch over you two, i'm sure you'll be fine without someone guarding you for an hour.
as for the punishment, you'll both have to write an essay on a topic of your own choice"
mr. kang instructed before waiting for the two to answer.

"yes, mr. kang!"
the two said in unision with a hint of shame in their voices.

"alright, don't let me down"
mr. kang said sternly before exiting the classroom, leaving the two alone to sit in silence.

a few minutes had passed since the teacher left the classroom.

miki was writing her essay in deep concentration while riki was staring at the girl from his seat in the back.
he wanted to apologize to her.
for making her already embarrassing moment worse and for dragging himself into it.

riki stood up from his seat before making his way to the seat next to the girl.
the girl was too concentrated to notice him as her view was covered by her hair.

riki waited before he decided to announce himself by letting out a small cough so the girl would acknowledge his presence.

miki flinched at the sudden sound beside her as she quickly snapped her head towards the direction of the sound.
as she turned her head she was met with the boy's apologetic expression, something that was very new for her to see on him.

"look, i'm sorry for making your situation worse today.
i guess i just wanted to help"
riki said with a hint of nervousness in his voice as he was looking everywhere but in her direction.

miki looked at the boy's nervous state as she smiled to herself.
he wanted to help her.
who would've thought that one day the school's most infamous pair of enemies would eventually get along.

"it's fine, riki.
it's just unfortunate that you dragged yourself to detention by doing so"

riki looked up at the mention of his name.
she had never called him by his first name and neither had he called her by her own.
he could feel his cheeks burning up as he cleared his throat to shake away the nervousness.

"i mean that's what friends do, right?"

miki could feel her heart skipping a beat.
they were friends?
she had never really stopped to think about it but their recent interactions along with their lack of bickering clearly pointed to friendship.
she didn't hold back her bright smile as she looked at the boy.

"yeah.
thanks for helping me, friend"

riki swore that time froze in that moment.
she was smiling at him.
so brightly and sincerely.
he couldn't describe what he was feeling.
it was like the world stopped and all he could see was her.

he returned the smile before quickly burying his face in his hands as he was lying on the desk to hide the increasing redness of his cheeks.

"i-i'll take a quick nap"
riki managed to stutter out as he was trying to calm his heart which felt like it was going to explode any second.

"mhhm, don't sleep for too long.
i won't wake you up"
miki chuckled at the thought of leaving him to sleep in the classroom.

to be continued...

══════════════════

this chapter was getting quite long so i decided to split it into two chapters :D
but will something happen in the next chapter..

hope you enjoyed this chapter ♡

-mira