3

"Pl...Please don't I'll pay you all your money," Mr. Khan spoke tears brimmed in his eyes.

Zupa let out a rude laughter. "Please, I will pay your money, I promise," Mr. Khan begged tears running down his cheeks.

"On Friday, I want all my ten thousand rupees on Friday," Zupa spoke getting up.

"Friday?" Mr. Khan asked his eyes widened.

"Yes, is there a problem or should I just take your daughter?"

"Oh no, it is fine, I'll have all your money on Friday," Mr. Khan quickly replied.

"Good," turning away, to face his two men. "Let's go."

Friday? It was too soon, how was he going to raise Ten thousand rupees in five days? The next day when Najma went to school, he went to sell his fruits. He made Twenty rupees. "Oh my," he silently cried staring at the money in his hand before putting it inside the old container, which used to have ice cream inside, which had a few bank notes.

He came back home and found Najma back from school. She had prepared Briana for both of them. "Papa, food is ready," she softly said to her father who was taking off his socks.

"I'll be there," forcing out a smile.

They sat in silence, eating. "Najma," he begun.

Najma lifted her eyes onto her father. "Papa?"

"Can you decrease your samples when cooking," Mr. Khan spoke calmly.

"Yes papa,"

After that sentence they were back to silence. "Papa, can I have some of the fruits so I can sell at school?" Najma sought courage and asked.

"Na..."

"I want to help papa, please,"

"No Najma, I am the one responsible for this and I will make sure I sell all the fruits and get ten thousand rupees, okay?"

"But pap..."

"No Najma, I can't let you fix my sins,"

There was no response from Najma as she got up, packing the dishes going into the kitchen. Mr. Khan knew her daughter was trying to help but still he couldn't, he couldn't let her help him. She was too young to worry about his problems. He was going to find ten thousand rupees on his own.

Day three arrived and he only made thirty rupees on selling fruits. It was impossible to get to ten thousand rupees in two days. He decided to head for the bank to borrow money but wasn't successful since he still owned five thousand rupees from it. He came back home tired. He started moving from door to door selling the furniture from his apartment. First was the radio, which he sold to a young man he knew as Neo. He sold it for eighty rupees, then he sold the four set of chairs for forty rupees because Mrs. Govender complained when he wanted to sell them for hundred rupees.

He counted the money on his single bed, with an old red blanket which his late wife had bought years back. "170 rupees, 9830 rupees to go," he whispered as Najma's footsteps getting closer to his open door filled his ears. He quickly covered the money with his pillow, turning to face her.

"Papa, food is ready,"

"I'll be there," getting up following her inside the kitchen that looked empty. The chairs were gone. He sat down before his daughter who looked a little upset.

Author's Note

Do u think Mr. Khan would be able to get all Zupa's money in time?😢

Share ur thoughts🌸