1

Some chase success, some chase money, some chase love but I chase the sun. Every morning I get up and drive, drive up the endless world trying to reach the sun. I know, it sounds crazy but still, I do it. I will do it till I die.

I moved the binoculars off my eyes allowing my naked eyes to look straight at the bright rays of the sun setting on the hills ahead. Cold breeze blew some of my hair onto my face as I turned away heading back to my old ford ltd II Brougham. It had been a gift, a gift from my late husband, Thomas Cruz.

A good man and father. I made the engine rumble and sped up the quiet road. I needed to get to the sun before it set away. My skinny hand pulled the cubbyhole open, the sight of my pistol came to view. Safety, I couldn't drive around without a pistol. Even a dying woman needed to protect herself.

I pulled the box of cigarettes and lighter. I had sworn to stop smoking to my son, Robert but here I was taking another huff. It was pointless stopping now, not when my days were already numbered. I slid one of the cigarettes in my dry lips and lit it.

The smell of nicotine rushing through my body seemed to make my body come to life as a short cough escaped my lips. I tossed the box and lighter in the cubbyhole before pulling out the cigarette in my mouth, coughing a little.

It hurt, my lungs but I wasn't bothered by the pain. Pain had been my life. Going through Chemotherapy wasn't another pain I was willing to go through. People died, why was I to try and cheat it? Anyway, I missed Thomas. It wouldn't hurt seeing him one last time.

Robert and Stacy were all grown up, I didn't see a reason to keep on living. My job as a parent was done. My foot stepped on the accelerator, feeling the air from the open window rush through my delicate lungs. I had always been fascinated by rockets. I had wished to get on one.

I stepped even more on the accelerator, the speedometer increasing rapidly. So, this was how people in rockets felt? High and free. My eyes suddenly spotted the figure ahead, stopping my car. I removed my feet from the accelerator, decreasing my speed.

I drove past him, as his young face caught my eyes. Somehow, he reminded me of Robert. He had a bag pack on his left shoulder, wearing ripped jeans with chains and a long sleeve oversize black T-shirt, matching his boots.

 I glanced back on the side mirror and saw him held his head which was covered by a cowboy hat. He was a child, what was he doing hitch hiking in the middle of nowhere?