10. Vulnera mea

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THE IDEA OF BEING COOPED UP ON A sweaty bus on the way to a lacrosse meet that all of the lacrosse players and cheerleaders had been forced into attending—didn't appeal to Elora at all—despite attending against her better judgement and not faking a sick note.

But since the blonde and Dean had made up, the bus drive became slightly more manageable. Her legs had been thrown across his lap since she had gotten a cramp two hours in and ever since then Scott McCall had been sending angry glances towards the couple despite having many more things on his mind. And while alot of the looks we're fuelled by jealousy—it was also partly to keep an eye on the now sleeping girl who had been effected all the same by the events of the night previous—if not more.

     The blonde slept peacefully despite the bumps and pot holes that littered the road, but even despite that, the screeching of coaches whistle and his angry shout was what woke the girl from her slumber. "Back to your seat!" The man had shouted at a boy who had moved to sit beside his friend, causing a gasp to escape the girls lips as she was shot up by the power of his voice.

    And while on any other day, the girl would probably have been furious for being awoken in such a way—sending glares to who ever the cause was until she eventually got over it—in this case, the whistle had snapped her from a horrid dream, one that she was sure would be appearing more frequently after the night before.

     The flashes of blood and the image of claws. The anger that had radiated around the room—the one soon replaced with despair. And the constant flashes of red eyes that had her mind racing. But also the crushing guilt. Because she thought it was her fault.

    Because it was.

-

     ALL ISAAC AND BOYD COULD THINK OF was the night before and all of its events. And while Isaac was trying to push the thoughts from his mind—it was all Boyd could think of. And despite Isaac telling him not to—many many times since they left, the smell of guilt wasn't only evident to him.

    "I can't. All i can smell is guilt." The boy admitted, looking back towards the blonde girl who was now biting her nails and fumbling with deans hand—anything she could get her hands on. Isaac followed his eye-line  to the girl, sending a pang through his chest. He didn't want his best friend to think that it was her fault.

    Because it wasn't.

-

   SINCE KINDERGARTEN ALL ELORA HAD wanted for Danny Mahealani was the best. Because a boy with a heart as big as his deserved all the good he could get. But yet he found himself sitting beside the complete opposite of what he deserved. The wear wolf that contributed to all of their pain, guilt and anxiety. And while he would argue that it was Kali and Ennis—his involvement still meant something.

     Elora found herself unable to sleep once Coach had awoken her, she was scared to be plunged back into her own mind and instead found herself glaring at the back of Ethan's head, hating him more by the second. "Everything okay?" Danny had asked the boy after watching him check his phone for the third time that half hour.

    Ethan frowned at his concern, but tried to look the opposite, forcing a smile to his lips. "Yeah. Why?" He asked. And maybe Ethan really did like Danny? But there was always the chance that he was just part of their game—another pawn in their chess match against Scott McCall and his pack.

    "You checked your phone three times in the last five minutes..." Danny explained, sending a pang through Eloras chest. Curiosity and also anger swirled in her stomach. Especially when Ethan answered, "Waiting on a message." Because what else would he be waiting for? And if that was the case then they could be hopeful. But Derek hadn't made any sign to show he was alive, that he was breathing. So until they knew for certain, the teenagers were left with swirling pits of guilt on each of their chests.